Best blade height

Rickcin

Threads
We live in the NY state area ( southern near NJ ) and I was wondering what would be the best height to cut the grass. We do not have an irrigation system and the eXmark is currently adjusted to a 3 1/2 inch cut height, is this a good height ?

Also, the 36 inch deck has about an 1/8 of an inch pitch forward, should it have more pitch ?

Thanks

scott47429

Threads
3.5" - 4" is a good hight to mow at and your deck should be pitched 1/8 - 1/4 inch lower in the front

Rickcin

Threads
3.5" - 4" is a good hight to mow at and your deck should be pitched 1/8 - 1/4 inch lower in the front

I check the mower pitch by placing a torpedo level on the deck. I guess this is the best way to verify the pitch ?

Thanks
Rick

scott47429

Threads
that will work but the way you do it is get a deck leveling gauge and measure the blade in the front and the back with the blade pointing front to rear on a level surface

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to your local building supply store and make yourself a leveling tool for less than $5.00. Purchase a coupler for threaded rod and the matching bolt 1 1/2". When you put together the two, you have your tool. Just adjust it to the height of the blade on one side and then check the other side and adjust. Turn the blade pointing forward and adjust front to back for a pitch of 1/4"- 3/8".

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
We live in the NY state area ( southern near NJ ) and I was wondering what would be the best height to cut the grass. We do not have an irrigation system and the eXmark is currently adjusted to a 3 1/2 inch cut height, is this a good height ?

Also, the 36 inch deck has about an 1/8 of an inch pitch forward, should it have more pitch ?

Thanks

Before you ask what would be the best height to cut your grass, determine your grass type. Grass cutting heights are determined by the type of grass you're cutting. Different grasses such as Bahia can be cut between 2 1/2 to 4", Bermuda 1/2" to 2 1/2", St. Augustine between 2 1/2" to 3 1/2 ". Other conditions such as weather, location and time of year can also determine cutting height. Your deck pitch is fine.

Rickcin

Threads
Before you ask what would be the best height to cut your grass, determine your grass type. Grass cutting heights are determined by the type of grass you're cutting. Different grasses such as Bahia can be cut between 2 1/2 to 4", Bermuda 1/2" to 2 1/2", St. Augustine between 2 1/2" to 3 1/2 ". Other conditions such as weather, location and time of year can also determine cutting height. Your deck pitch is fine.
Ric, your comments are very well received and make perfect sense. I do not even know the type of grass that I have but I do know that it browns from the heat every July and early August.
The eXmark mower that belongs to my neighbor that I am using, is set for a 3 1/2 inch cut so I have been using that and not picking up the clippings. I am not sure if it would be better to bag when the grass is browning from the heat or not ?
I am using the fixed deck eXmark because I think it gives a better looking cut that my Sears tarcator with a 42 inch deck.

Advice always appreciated !

Thanks

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, your comments are very well received and make perfect sense. I do not even know the type of grass that I have but I do know that it browns from the heat every July and early August.
The eXmark mower that belongs to my neighbor that I am using, is set for a 3 1/2 inch cut so I have been using that and not picking up the clippings. I am not sure if it would be better to bag when the grass is browning from the heat or not ?
I am using the fixed deck eXmark because I think it gives a better looking cut that my Sears tarcator with a 42 inch deck.

Advice always appreciated !

Thanks

You could have a number of different types of grasses, the Kentucky Blue grass or a Ryegrass, possibly a Fescue most of those along with a few others are good cool weather grasses.
Also not picking up the grass clippings is a good thing, leaving the clippings contributes to about 25% of your lawns fertilization needs.