Kubota TG1860 (Diesel) 10Amp Fuse blowing (PTO Clutch related)

rhobbs

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kubota TG1860 (Diesel) 10Amp Fuse blowing (PTO Clutch related)
Felt it important to upload information regarding a 10Amp Fuse Blowing on my TG1860 D. The problem first made its debut after an hour of cutting. The tractor stopped and all dash lights went out. The deck PTO also stopped when the engine stopped. After some initial examination found the 10 Amp fuse blown under the dash. Installing a new fuse allowed me to continue for about a half hour and it blew again. Let it cool down put in a new fuse and all seemed ok for a while and it failed again.

Noted that if the PTO clutch was not engaged, the fuse did not blow which meant the problem appeared to be in the power circuit for the clutch. Since the clutch seemed to be working ok and not slipping (while the fuse was still in tact), it initially didn't seem that the clutch was the possible cause. After measuring volts through the switches (Safety and PTO) theyall seemed ok. Ohmed out the Chutch and the resistance was low at 1.9 Ohms. DIsconnected the clutch at its connector. put in a fresh 10A fuse and all ran and worked fine. This pointed to the clutch itself having a problem or an intermittent issue. I should also disclose that my local dealer had provided me with the wrong drawings which added a couple of days and a bit to analysis before I realized what was going on. Messicks provided the proper schematic drawing along with detail on the clutch and the switches.

Les from Messick's confirmed my logic and a clutch was ordered. It was here from Messicks in a day and on the tractor that evening just before it started raining again. I had also ordered a PTO Switch only because the upper plastic retaining tabs on the original were broken off and the switch physically rocked when it was pulled out to be engaged. With the new switch and clutch all was troublefree again. Had to wait for the rain to stop a couple of days later to cut again for a good test.

Out side of normal oil changes, belts, blades and wheels for the deck have had no other notable problems since newly purchased many years ago (900+ hrs or so on the meter). All is good.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am also changing a clutch. magnetic coil winding burned out because of a failed wire on the voltage regulator for the alternator... .
Glad you are up and mowing again, BTW Messick's is a Very good operation...

and we may see some of the rain you mentioned tomorrow...
:smile:KennyV

rhobbs

Forum Newbie
Threads
reading the forums it seems the symptoms are fairly common in the 10 A circuit but don't always point to the clutch as the culprit.. Unfortunately, my dealer's svc mgr gave me the wrong schematics and I failed to notice it for a while. When I got all fixed Grass was heavy and it was wetter than I usually cut. So have to go over and mulch it in again now that it has dried a good bit.

Had a Ford yard tractor with manual trans before the Kubota. It was OK but we wore it out in the first few years as almost all but skins had to be replaced. I confess we used it hard creating a yard from a corn field. Needed a hydrostatic trans since we had planted so many new trees and should have bought it in the beginning.

Got no complaints with the Kubota. tough and reliable diesel. Deck wheels seem to wear quickly whick is puzzling. They are set to be 1/2 off the ground when the deck is lowered. They are plastic and not very tolerant of the driveway I guess. Change oil and grease things regurlarly. All else is good. Good luck with yours.
rick