Craftsman/Briggs and Straton won't start

Scottoreay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Mower Briggs and Straton
Family: 2BSXS.1901VH

Something seems to be grinding near the top of the mower. It was working last week, now all of the sudden, the cutoff bar is stuck. It wont spring back like it normally would to shut down the engine. When I manually turn the mower blade, I hear a type of grinding noise metal to metal at the top of the engine. I tried to pull the starter cord, it will rewind back but there is definite metal resistance. I didnt want to try more than once as to not cause more damage to the mower.

Thank you for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things to check. Remove the shroud and check to see if the coil is touching the flywheel. It should be .010" away. Also check to see if the brake is coming off when you pull the the brake bail back.

Scottoreay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im not sure how to check for the coil touching the flywheel but I will check for that. Also if the bail brake is the small pullback rod to keep the mower going when its in use, yes , it's stuck in the on positon and will not spring back. It seems there is some sort of brake holdin the moter from turning freely. I hope this helps and thank you.

Scott

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Im not sure how to check for the coil touching the flywheel but I will check for that. Also if the bail brake is the small pullback rod to keep the mower going when its in use, yes , it's stuck in the on positon and will not spring back. It seems there is some sort of brake holdin the moter from turning freely. I hope this helps and thank you.

Scott

But Rivets have already ask you to take off the cover to see if the brake is on, have you done that.
also this number "Family: 2BSXS.1901VH" can you look for engine number another number that's on the engine something like (275260) and post it here.

Scottoreay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I apoligize, I did take the red top cover off before I wrote my inititial email and observed the grinding noise near the flywheel. I wouldnt begin to know what the brake looks like to see if it's engaged. There is another black metal cover that maybe I can take off to see this? Thank you for your help. 275260 is the engine number.

Scott

Scottoreay

Forum Newbie
Threads
Success!! I took off the black cover that covers the flywheel. The coil looks closer than .010 but then I noticed a brakepad at the end of the mechanism that is controlled by the arm that you hold back to keep the mower running, it's engaged agains the flywheel. Stuck.

Scott

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Success!! I took off the black cover that covers the flywheel. The coil looks closer than .010 but then I noticed a brakepad at the end of the mechanism that is controlled by the arm that you hold back to keep the mower running, it's engaged agains the flywheel. Stuck.

Scott

.010 isn't that much when looking at it with you're eyes...! but I think Rivets is right by saying look at the brake.
From what I read from the above you have find the problem.

Scottoreay

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, the Brake is attatched to a plate that is held on by a 5/16 bolt to a support plate. The brake is at a 90 degree angle against the fly wheel. Can I loosen the nut to fix it?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake is controlled by the bail lever on the handle which you pull back to start the engine. If it does not release when you pull it back either the cable is broke or stretched. Most mowers do not have an adjustment on this cable.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, the Brake is attatched to a plate that is held on by a 5/16 bolt to a support plate. The brake is at a 90 degree angle against the fly wheel. Can I loosen the nut to fix it?

No you don't loosen the bolt to fix it, unless it's seized. have you looked at the cable, does it come off flywheel when you pull the lever.
I have posted some pics, don't go by the model's just go by what it say's, you may understand it better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg