Hydrostatic drive...fluid change

bigheaded5

Threads
When you need to change the fluid in a craftsman hydro drive, someone told me these units arent meant for home owner fluid changes, but you can drill and tap a drain and fill plug into them?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the smaller hydros are sealed. Why do you want to change the fluid?

benski

Threads
Presumably you'd need a fill and drain hole, and a known volume of the transmission capacity.

bigheaded5

Threads
Most of the smaller hydros are sealed. Why do you want to change the fluid?

I was told...you know, "that guy" said, when it heats up from over use, it needs to be changed.... is that false? I dont see a need right now, I was just throwing a curiosity question out.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
They are sealed and designed to last the life of the tractor . We know that some tractors last 30+ years yet others are beat to death in a few years .
Check your rear axle for a fill port - its a lot of work to unbolt it to try and drain and fill something that is not designed to be tampered with .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you do not see a fill plug on top, the unit is sealed, no need to change. That guy is correct some need to be change, but very few of them are on the smaller tractors. I would say don't worry about it, does your owners manual say anything? If you don't have an owner manual, post your model numbers and we will find one for you.