Mower drive problems

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some more bad new's on this one. This one from complaints.com

LGT2654 hydrstatic drive failure

Husqvarna
US

I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Tiger Torq hydrostatic drive. This drive failed with 162 hrs on the mower. I had it repaired and its failed again with 186 hrs on it. From what I have seen this is a common thing with this drive, not a very heavy duty unit. I had a 94 Yardman that I have used since new and never had any problems with the Hydrogear drive it it. Its a shame I sold it when I bought this LGT2654. I beleive they should replace these or extend the warranty

That's it now, am off to bed...!

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, guys, thanks for the replies. I could not find a way to add fluid to the transaxle so I guess it's time to pull the transaxled.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

fairlaniac

Threads
Having similar issues, did you tear into your axle yet?

Thanks,

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having similar issues, did you tear into your axle yet?

Thanks,

No, not yet, it probably will be a couple of months before I have the time to do that. But I am going to. I work as a small engine mechanic, and have for 20 years, but have never worked on a Tuff Torx before.

But I am sure they are much like the many I have worked on. Was just hoping someone might know something about this paticular hydro that might be a simple fix. Hopefully when I get inside it the filter will be mostly stopped up and not the pump.

chance123

Threads
If this has a hydraulic oil filter, that "may" be the problem if it hasn't been changed for a while. That whining sound can be an indication of wear (excess clearences) in the hydro unit.

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this has a hydraulic oil filter, that "may" be the problem if it hasn't been changed for a while. That whining sound can be an indication of wear (excess clearences) in the hydro unit.

First, the filter on this unit is internal. And I am afraid you are right about the wear in the hydro. But I am hoping that the filter is partially stopped up and that a new filter will solve the problem. But as I stated before, I have never worked on this paticular hydro and, in my experience, the different hydro's have peculairies all their own and I was hoping that this one might have one that I haven't run across yet and it could be a simple fix.

Wishful thinking I know, but when a new hydro can cost from $500 to $800 wishful thinking is good until you find out that one is wasting his time.:smile:

fairlaniac

Threads
I hope no one minds if I'm jumping in here as I have similar issues? On my LGT2654 when I disengage the trans it doesn't free wheel like it did. When the trans is engaged and the rear on jack stands if I take one wheel and turn it, the other wheel rotates the opposite way. If I grab both wheels and spin them in the same direction you can hear a noise in the rear which sounds like I'm overcoming some kind of a friction disc. Imagine if you could take a car disc brake, aplly the brakes and if you could turn the rotor yoy would get a friction draggign noise. That is the similar noise I'm hearing from my axle, engaged or disengaged. My bely popped off last week so I put a new belt on. It jumped off again the other day. Something is causing the belt to jump off at the rear pulley/fan. It only happens when going from forward to reverse. If the rear were to jamb would the belt jump off the pulley or slip? I'm thinking it would jump as it has been doing so I'm figuring something in my axle is tighteneing up. Soory to be so wordy, I'm just trying to give you the facts.

I am tempted to crack open the rear but since they tell you it's a sealed assembly and a service tech should look at it, will I be able to obtain any parts to fix it?

By the way, how does the power get applied from the belt pulley to the tires. I thought it was all gear driven but if I spin the pulley & fan by hand the rear wheels do not move. With all of the talk about pumps and filters I'll assume it is more involved?

Thanks,

kemperhills

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope no one minds if I'm jumping in here as I have similar issues? On my LGT2654 when I disengage the trans it doesn't free wheel like it did. When the trans is engaged and the rear on jack stands if I take one wheel and turn it, the other wheel rotates the opposite way. If I grab both wheels and spin them in the same direction you can hear a noise in the rear which sounds like I'm overcoming some kind of a friction disc. Imagine if you could take a car disc brake, aplly the brakes and if you could turn the rotor yoy would get a friction draggign noise. That is the similar noise I'm hearing from my axle, engaged or disengaged. My bely popped off last week so I put a new belt on. It jumped off again the other day. Something is causing the belt to jump off at the rear pulley/fan. It only happens when going from forward to reverse. If the rear were to jamb would the belt jump off the pulley or slip? I'm thinking it would jump as it has been doing so I'm figuring something in my axle is tighteneing up. Soory to be so wordy, I'm just trying to give you the facts.

I am tempted to crack open the rear but since they tell you it's a sealed assembly and a service tech should look at it, will I be able to obtain any parts to fix it?

By the way, how does the power get applied from the belt pulley to the tires. I thought it was all gear driven but if I spin the pulley & fan by hand the rear wheels do not move. With all of the talk about pumps and filters I'll assume it is more involved?

Thanks,

Since I can't look at the unit this is purely a guess. But have you removed the belt and checked to see if the input shaft bearing are worn out. To do so remove the belt, grab the trans input shaft pulley and see if there is any looseness in the bearing. A small amount is normal, but if the pulley will move back and forth very much the bearing is gone. If the bearing wears out it will cause the input shaft pulley to tilt forward and could cause the belt to jump off.

The power in a hydro is applied to the wheels when you move the pedal, or lever, back or forward causing the hydralic fluid to the "hydro motor" to turn. Much like the automatic trans in a car.:smile:

fairlaniac

Threads
I didn't notice any potential bearing movement however if I slap my hand against a tire there is some movement of the rear axle. The movement appears to me at the sheet metal ears off the frame where the 2 bolts each side mount the axle to the frame. It is not a loose movement as all fasteners are tight, it's like a "springy" movement at the mounting ears but I have to wonder if it is enough movement to jump the belt? As I said, the rear axle has some drag even when disengaged.

Thanks,

chance123

Threads
In general, Hydrostatic xmissions have spool valves and swash plates that change the direction of oil for fwd & rev. Clearences are "very" critical for correct operation. Replacing parts that "appear" worn, don't always cure the problem. It's some of the wear you can't see that can throw you. Unless you know the specs for every piece in the hydro, it's just a crap shoot. Give me an old jack shaft any day LOL