Mower drive problems

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqavarna LGT2654 riding mower that has a hydro transaxle.

The problem is that when I start first start using the mower it moves good. On hills the mower will slow down a bit.

But after using the mower for about 20 minutes it begins to noticably slow down, even on level ground, until finally it will hardly pull itself, even of level ground.

When this happens the mower will not even pull a slight grade.

I have also noticed that when this happens, and the forward pedal is pressed, there is a noticable whinning in the transaxle.

What could be causing this problem. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check is the belt tension and condition. The belt should be tight and the idler pulley should turn easily, even after cutting for awhile. When was the last time the belt was changed?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
While you are there checking the condition of the belt... check if the cooling fan is plugged up or the general area around the transmission is blocked with grass... :smile:KennyV

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing I would check is the belt tension and condition. The belt should be tight and the idler pulley should turn easily, even after cutting for awhile. When was the last time the belt was changed?

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that it has a new belt, and the last time that I tried to use it I checked and the belt does not slip and the transaxle pulley with the plastic fan on top is turning, but the mower won't move.

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
While you are there checking the condition of the belt... check if the cooling fan is plugged up or the general area around the transmission is blocked with grass... :smile:KennyV
\\

Thanks, I will.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if the hydro release lever is all the way in. If it is in the half way position it will give the symptoms you describe.

kemper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you checked to see if the hydro release lever is all the way in. If it is in the half way position it will give the symptoms you describe.

Yes, I have, sorry for the not very compete description of my problem. But I have checked the bypass valve and it is closed.

Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone read this.........had it on the web...! (husqvarna LGT 2654 want pull up hill)
Tom W
760 Solutions July 18, 2010

"You didn't indicate what model of tractor you have but most likely it is a hydrostatic drive problem . The power is transfered from the engine to the wheels by hydraulic pressure. If the fluid level (hydraulic oil) is low then it won't drive correctly. Follow the owners manual to check the fluid level. The other possibility is if this is an older unit it could actually have water in the oil.The water will not operate correctly. Where did the water come from? The transmission housing, is vented to atmosphere. On a hot humid day, while you're driving, the fluid and housing is heated. When the tractor cools, the ambient humid air enters the housing. When night rolls aroound the water condensing inside the housing. If you're lucky this transaxle may have a drain plug in the bottom. You can remove this and see if the oil looks milky. If it does, I'd drain it all and refill with fresh oil."

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also have this out of the Operator;s Manual

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24

EngineMan