22 Ah batteries in CMM 1000?

Mark Widmer

Threads
Since I have direct experience with using 22Ah batteries in a CMM1000, I can offer my 2 cents.

The batteries pose no danger, they will work fine. But they won't last as many years as the 17-18 A-hr version; mine lasted just 2 years (for details click here) and somebody else had them last just 1 year (see comment dated Aug. 6, 2012 here).

But if you've already bought and paid for them, you might as well get what you can out of them at this point.

pvwebb

Forum Newbie
Threads
My CMM1000 came with 20Ah batteries. From my experience, 18Ah batteries don't last past two years because, while the batteries function, they get to where they can't finish mowing my lawn, even mowing with the meter in the red. The 22Ah batteries will mow about 1/3 acre finishing with the meter still well into the green.

Mark Widmer

Threads
If you stop mowing when the meter first reaches the red, the batteries should last more like 4 years. Of course, you do need to wait & charge the batteries up again before finishing up the lawn. So choose what is less annoying to you (delay in finishing mowing the whole lawn, or more frequent battery replacement) and go with that.

I always mowed the back lawn, waited a day, then mowed the front. 1/4 acre lot, but lots of turns and angles or I'm just too slow & methodical to get the promised 1/3 acre out of a single charge.

Mark

Recumbent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since I have direct experience with using 22Ah batteries in a CMM1000, I can offer my 2 cents.

The batteries pose no danger, they will work fine. But they won't last as many years as the 17-18 A-hr version; mine lasted just 2 years (for details click here) and somebody else had them last just 1 year (see comment dated Aug. 6, 2012 here).

But if you've already bought and paid for them, you might as well get what you can out of them at this point.

I'm actually one of the 'Anonymous' posters on Mark' blog, but not the one he is referring to. You can see my post at the top of the comments here: Mark’s Electric Mower: The battery

I'm the poster talking about DEEP CYCLE batteries, which are a better fit for this mower, in my opinion. In my case I used Tempest TD22-12 batteries, as Tempest batteries seem to give me good performance in other areas.

Mine lasted for over 4 years. In Central Texas (really hot.) Charged in a garage during the summer (REALLY HOT) and the winter (sometimes too cold.) I severely abused them, running the mower until it was well into the red with nearly every cutting session.

In fact, they are probably still good; my old faithful trusty CM1000 itself finally just conked out on me.

Basically I want to note that it is likely that the Anonymous poster whose batteries conked out in just one year used batteries that were not rated for Deep Cycling.