best type of mulch?

KDL

Threads
Is there really a big difference in mulch? I mean does it matter if you use pine bark or cedar, what are the benefits, if any, to using one over the other?

Flossie

Threads
I would say it depends where you live. Organic mulch is thought to be best but can cause problems in a moist climate. It would be silly to encourage snails and slugs when you can avoid it.

linda4

Threads
I've used both pine bark and cedar as mulches. Typically, pine bark costs less but cedar smells better and tens to look better. Both are equally effective as mulches however.

KDL

Threads
Ok, I want to mulch my gardens for the fall and I do not want to spend the extra money if it is not necessary.

grnspot110

Threads
Check around your area to see if anything is available in bulk, if you have a way of hauling it, it's usually cheaper than "sacked"!

I'm able to get "chipper shavings" from an Amish pallet plant free for the hauling about 15 miles from home, mostly Cottonwood. I have room to store it for a year before using it, thus "aging" it for a year. This makes great mulch for flower & vegetable gardens, as well as tees & shrubs. I don't, however use it next to buildings, as it could promote termites.

Other sources might be a sawmill or City brush waste. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 1

KDL

Threads
Thanks for the info, maybe I'll look on Craigslist to see if there is any place to get mulch for free, I have a truck and trailer to haul it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have any horse stables in your area... check with them.
Places that board horses clean the stalls daily and generally have a lot of sawdust/wood trimmings stacked up and composting... You can usually get a LOT very cheep. Check around. :smile:KennyV