6.75 Briggs hard start

smilinjak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs electric start engine that ia difficult ot start warm or cold with electric starter but fires on the the third pull of the recoil starter. The engine spins with the starter but won't fire until the battery is pretty well run down.
I am using 5w-20 synthetic as suggested and it always smells like it is burning oil after it starts. Any suggestions?:confused2:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a look on the engine for the model number and post it here, that way we will know what you have and tell you the right oil for that engine. And help you with the starting problem.
What color is the spark plug is it black, then check if there is a good spark, also check carb to make sure fuel is in it, when was the carb cleaned out last. may also have something to do with ignition switch as it starts no problem with the recoil starter.

Last edited:

smilinjak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will check the data plate tomorrow. The spark plug looks good except for a slight oil residue. Not as tan as I would like but not fouled. The carb was cleaned in the spring and it made no difference. I have by passed the switch but it made no difference either. Don't have much wits and I am about at the end of them.
Thanks for your response.:confused2:

smilinjak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a look on the engine for the model number and post it here, that way we will know what you have and tell you the right oil for that engine. And help you with the starting problem.
What color is the spark plug is it black, then check if there is a good spark, also check carb to make sure fuel is in it, when was the carb cleaned out last. may also have something to do with ignition switch as it starts no problem with the recoil starter.

Got the numbers wrong, this is a B&S 8.25 series. The plate has these numbers:
7BSXS.1901VE 277306.
I had another issue that proved to be a bad ground. After running a new ground wire from the battery to the engine it stars just fine. The starter doesn't spin any differently but the engine will start even cold without using the choke. Perhaps the electronic ignition system needed a better ground to give a hotter spark. :biggrin:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is good news.
LUBRICATION a synthetic oil may be used having 5W-20, 5W-30 or 5W-40 viscosity, you can always go back to none synthetic to just to see if the smell like burning go's away.

smilinjak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks engineman. I'm due to change the oil soon anyway. Think I will try 30 wt this time. It never gets cold enough around here to need the thin oil. :biggrin:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Worth a go, just keep all the air ways clean, when you do the oil and if its better come back and let us know. all the best.:thumbsup: