Garbage Bin

monica123

Threads
What is a good type of wood for a garbage bin? We made the last one out of plywood and it did not last. I want something more durable that we will get a few years out of.

carla6

Threads
Plywood tends to rot quickly. I would use either Oak or Maple. Stay away from Pine as it deteriorates quickly as well. Oak or Maple costs more, but it's well woth it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Eastern Red Cedar or Redwood would last a good long time. Western Red Cedar would be ok for any portion that didn't contact the soil.

Zeroturn

Threads
How about pressure treated wood? This way it won't rot or weather. You could even stain it. Most of the pressure treated wood that we have bought is redwood.

monica123

Threads
Would it be a good idea to put it up on blocks so that it does not touch the ground? I have been looking at different woods and I think that I am going to use pressure treated.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is a good type of wood for a garbage bin? We made the last one out of plywood and it did not last. I want something more durable that we will get a few years out of.[/QUOTE

I'm assuming it's going to stay outside and be used to store garbage cans?
I made a bin out of fence boards because it matches my fence. I built it into the fence with a hinged door that opens down with a counter weight so it's not too heavy. The bin is about 8" off the ground supported by fenc posts. Fence boards are 16' long and about 7" wide and 7/8" thick pressure treated. They relatively cheap right now as lumber is down. I am paying under 7$ a piece. Join them with deck screws and your bin will probably outlive you if you keep it off the ground.
This bin looks and works like the day I built it. If you want some pics let me know.
RB

grnspot110

Threads
I'd go with treated! Including treated plywood, depending on the "look" you want. And yes, get it up off the ground (bricks, blocks, pavers, etc.). ~~ grnspot110