Is the Kohler Courage really that bad?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The small push engine courage, I don't know about the larger rider engines, are manufacturered at the Kohler plant in China.

kwak

Threads
Thanks for the input - that helps. Then I take it that the Courage motors are non-US-made?

The larger singles and the twins are made in Mississippi.

WriteAway

Threads
Thanks for all the input. I was hoping the Courage might be US-made. Back to the research for me...

leej

Forum Newbie
Threads
It seems that it's hard to find US made engines on walk-behind mowers. Even looking at the B&S website, it's hard to determine if they're US made, or even if they have cast-iron cylinders. At least this Kohler has cast-iron; hence better than anything with aluminum bore for long term use. The OHV is definitely a better design than the old L-head engines (flathead). The OHV engines are able to develop more HP per CC and run cooler due to better air-flow through the engine. My only concern is the QC and tolerances. If these are held to decent standards, this should be a good engine. Of course there's the carb. According to a couple of shop mechanics that I spoke to, the auto-choke system has problems, as well. The bi-metal temp sensor can cause re-starting problems when hot, which is a problem down here when it gets so hot. I've not used this engine. I'm just looking and compairing and will continue looking, since these have so many complaints.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why I don't like Courage. Got my third one in two weeks yesterday with oil leaking issues. First one, rod let loose, hole in cylinder, half cover bolts loose, 3yrs old, we do all service. Kohler paying for short block customer labor. Second one, leaking head gasket, valve cover gasket, crankcase gasket, push rods bent, 2 years old. Warranty. Third one, oil squirting out the oil sensor electrical connection blade and leaky head gasket, 2 years old. First 18 hp single, second 20 HP single, third 25 HP twin. Great money for me, but unhappy customers.

chance123

Threads
I just posted mt thoughts in the "Kohler cracked block" topic in this forum. In reading the last post it reminded me about another thing. "Loose bolts." Case and head bolts. Absolute garbage!!!!!!!!!!

Doby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having a Cub with a Courage 18 that just failed after 76.4 hours had me wondering if it was me. I've used Kohler motor oil and filters and take care of my stuff. That is why I decided to search for a reason why it failed. It was running at idle burned a large amount of smoke then made a very loud bang and died before I could shut it down. Oh that's 76.4 hours in four years. You tube video also show issues with these engines. Should I replace it with Command? Any chance Kohler will back up a claim?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your best bet is to take it to a Kohler dealer and have them work with their Kohler rep. You don't say how old this unit is and what type of unit it was in. Was it a commercial or residential unit. Your Cub dealer should also be able to help you.

Doby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your best bet is to take it to a Kohler dealer and have them work with their Kohler rep. You don't say how old this unit is and what type of unit it was in. Was it a commercial or residential unit. Your Cub dealer should also be able to help you.

Purchased 08/2008 strictly used as residential and it's in good shape not abused in the least bit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

• Cub Cadet i1042.jpg
    Cub Cadet i1042.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36

oldschooljohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, Kholer Courage Really Is That Bad

I have a Husqvarna with a Kholer Courage. After just 77 hours of use, the motor ate it's valve. Kholer refuses to honor warranty, says the motor was overheated. I was just mowing the lawn, the same lawn I have mowed the same way for 10 years with a Sears/Briggs & Stratton tractor. Yes, it had oil, and yes I even cleaned all the debris out of the cooling fins. No way the motor was overheated. It's just a piece of garbage.

I noticed someone here posted that you have to be careful with this motor when cutting high or wet grass. That's a little silly, don't you think? If the motor can't handle high grass, it shouldn't be used on a tractor.

If you don't mind paying a $700 repair bill every 77 hours or so, definitely buy a Kholer Courage. Otherwise, avoid.