Generator

fastback

Threads
I am thinking of buying an emergency generator. We don't lose power all that much but the last time it was for a week. That was just too long. My question is dose anyone know anything about the brand names Powerhouse, Powerhorse or Predator. One is from Campers World, the other is Nothern Tool and Equipment and the last is Harbor Frieght. Each of the 3 brands are manufactured accross the big pond, big surprise. Honda is out of the question. Generac may be doable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

fastback

Threads
Oh I forgot, I'm thinking in the 7K range with surge to 9k.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Generac has some good stand by generators... If you have natural gas, that is a very convenient fuel... Propane is also a lot handier than gasoline...
If you can get a 4 pole alternator instead of a 2 pole, Your engine will only have to turn 1800 RPM instead of 3600 RPM... The slower speed will cost slightly more, But is Quiet and will out last the set up that has to run wide open.... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Always seem like a lot of money for what little use it would get. It a big box that sits by your house in the way that would get very little use and still needs to be maintained. Yes I also have a back up but it a portable unit just for the necessities like the refrigerator or heat. This also is a box that sits in by garage, in the way, and still needs maintenance, but not as much money invested. I have lived here for over 50 years and the most the electric has been out is 4 days and other then that very a short time. Everyone has there own idea on this but for myself it just seem like a big investment with little pay back. But also I can be very cheap at times and spend 10 dollars to save 1 dollar.

fastback

Threads
I agree with all of what you have said and that is why I have not made the move at this time. I do have a small 800 watt Honda that was given to me. The problem is it is only good for a light or two and/or a small TV. Thats ok, but it will not run the heating system or a refrigerator. In my mind it is useless. It would be ok for camping, but most places I go have adequate power.

It is my feeling that we (in general) will see more outages and they will last longer. Also in this area we are due for a major weather event and when it happens I want to be ready. Yes it is a lot of money to tie up but it is probably no different than an antique car that is only taken out on selected days and never in the winter. It takes more space in the garage than a genarator.

I am also very frugal atleast I try to be. I have been dragging my feet for a while now.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

fastback

Threads
Well we had a storm pass through yesterday afternoon and we lost power for a couple of hours. Had pleanty of time to do nothing. Took a nap and started thinking about a generator again. Oh, I couldn't use the computer even though I have a lap top, no internet.

One community north of here lost hundreds of trees. I guess they will be out of power for a while.

possum

Threads
My fatherinlaw has a cheap generator. He purchased it some years ago and is in the 4000 watt range with a briggs flathead on it. Has very few hours and runs well enough. My wife expects me to maintain and get it out for use when needed. Both my wife and fatherinlaw has very high and unrealistic expectations of this generator. At best it will run the furnace, tv, a couple lights, an oxygen maker, and a c-pap machine along with a fridge if you are careful. Even then it is working right along. Other things can be ran if you are on site to manage it. My fatherinlaw cannot manage it. Running it with just the c-pap and oxygen maker is more than likely a waste as it does not make for a load. Planned power outage of 4 to 8 hours at night is what we have used it for the last three years. Cheap generators are handy, have some value depending on age and time of year, but leave alot to be desired, waste about as much energy as they produce under light loads, are expensive to run for any length of time, require maintnence, planning, extension cords, are a pain to set up, take down and prepare for storage, require a fair amount of gasoline on hand, are to gutless to run most central air conditioners and are pretty much pointless to own if you are planning on hooking it up to the whole house with proper up to code connections, and take far to long to get them serviced when they conk out. The cheap units of this size really are not made to run at rated power for very long esp. in hot weather. They are loud, attract everyone that wants to borrow or steal it, have to be babysitted to much of the time and are a false sense of security for most. Buy a large one gasoline powered with a code approved hook up and plan on lots of gasoline along with someone to help you get it into position and back into storage, or buy a standby unit installed permanent to natural gas or propane that starts and stops auto. If all you need is something to run a sump pump or furnace to save yourself property damage or run sleep apnea type stuff then buy a Honda unit that can be carried around in one hand with idle down feature on it but enough power to do what you need not what you would like to have.

Ariena

Threads
I have had a 10K Generac for 5 years now. Where I live, we are susceptible to freezing rain, heavy snow and an inconsistent hydro electric system.
I wouldn't be without mine. I run my furnace, fireplace (natural gas), microwave, freezer, garage doors, and the majority of receptacles. The biggest concern is our sump pump which is a must in this area. The Generac has been 100% reliable over the 5 years including the self test (12 minutes) every week.

fastback

Threads
A permenet unit would not be in my budget. I'm down to 2 generators. It will be either a Generac 5,500 watt unit sold at Lowes or a Ridgid 5,700 watt unit that Home depot has. They are within $50.00 of one another. The Ridgid has a Yamaha engine seems like a little better set up. This unit also get better fuel consumption. so this may be the one I will get.

I have read the reviews in this price range they all seem to be the same. In my case I am concerned about heat and refrigeration.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
A permenet unit would not be in my budget. I'm down to 2 generators. It will be either a Generac 5,500 watt unit sold at Lowes or a Ridgid 5,700 watt unit that Home depot has. They are within $50.00 of one another. The Ridgid has a Yamaha engine seems like a little better set up. This unit also get better fuel consumption. so this may be the one I will get.

I have read the reviews in this price range they all seem to be the same. In my case I am concerned about heat and refrigeration.
A Yamaha?
I have had great experience with their products.... but.... If I were considering an engine in this application, I would be concerned about the parts network.
Why don't you try to source a carb or an air filter for that machine first before you buy it.
Generators have a tendency to sit for long periods in between use and since it ultimately produces a sine wave, it needs to run perfectly lest you will be replacing sensitive electronics, charging circuits, and start capacitors.... been there done that.
The sine wave is relative to the rpm's so keeping it tuned and running right is key.....anyway my point is: Make sure you can get parts for it quickly and easily,
That's what Briggs and Stratton so desirable in my opinion.