Generator

possum

Threads
Those generators are made or imported by One World Technologies . The same folks own it as Ryobi. The nearest place I can purchase one would be fifty miles away. The nearest service center for the generator would be almost one hundred miles from where I live. The engine has a seprate warranty and service center for it would be ninety miles from where i live. You might want to find your service centers before buying. And as others have said, common items as well. Thats the main reason i have stayed away from some items like Generac, to far to the nearest service center.

fastback

Threads
Thanks guys, those points are well taken. The generac uses their own engine. This generator is also imported from China. In this price range they all seem to be the same. Probably made in the same factory. I will follow up and check locations of service centers etc.

Again thanks for the advice.

Paul

fastback

Threads
Well I finally made the purchas. I ended out getting a Generac. I took the advice given and found that there were move service centers for this gen than the others. In fact there is one is 4.5 miles away. The people I have talked to about this unit all had good things to say. I bought the GP5500 at Lowes they seemed to have the best price. I did have to go to 3 stores before I found one.

Hope I really never have to use it, but if necessary it will be ready.

HarryHarley

Threads
Here's where I bought mine. Best on price too! Pick a size you like... The one I have is portable but runs the whole house. Heat is never a problem here in New Orleans, LA. But we run 2 a/c units as well. As many of the posters said.... I wouldn't be with out one either. We seem to be the last to get electricity back when there are outages here in a more rural area.
Good luck

fastback

Threads
Yes I did beat that price. Mine sold for $649.95, by using my Lowes credit card the price was reduced by 5%, when the tax was included it came to $664.15. I even found a better price at Tractor Supply $599.00 plus tax. The only problem was they were all out I wonder why and the sale ended July 28th.

Oh, BTW my model is 6110. It is the same as 5939, the only difference is the owners manuel and the 6110 comes with a extension cord.

Thanks anyway.

possum

Threads
Good job. Now tell every Tom Larry and Mary you run into in conversation to do the same as you did. And do run the durn thing at least a few times before the power goes out.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look and see if you have a drain on the carb bowl. Mine does and it's a nice thing to have. If it's there I suggest you use it imeddiately after use.
Seems like you got a good deal. I'm basing this on my purchae of a similar generator 15 years ago. As I recall I paid just a little less, just over 600$. It's still runs and works as good as it ever did.
mine has a brushless armature, which I thought was a plus.

fastback

Threads
Thanks guys. Robert, I don't know if the bowl has a drain. I'll try to remember to check sometime today.

I did run the unit yesterday for a short time and yes I put a load on it, a 12,000 btu air conditioner. Not much of a load could not even tell it was on in terms of draw. It started on the second pull. Hope I have a much luck with it as everyone else.

HarryHarley

Threads
Worst case on the fuel issue is to put in a in-line fuel shut off (about $7). Then turn off and let the gen die for lack of fuel. Do both if you can.... fuel shut off and drain carb bowl if it's convenient.