JD 420 W/Onan flooding issues

Elcid76

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old (1990's vintage) JD420 that has begun to give me fits. It has become a bear to start (and run) because of flooding issues. The JD Dealer is "pricey" and I am almost ready to toss this one in and buy something that is reliable, BUT, I just bought a NEW Kubota L3240HST so I HAVE to last another year....

Does anyone have hints on carb adjustments or tips. Basically I can get it started by removing the air filter and "drying out" the gas. It will run ROUGH for a few minutes, thane gradually smooth out. It actually runs fairly well ONCE I get it going.... Has anyone had an issue like this with the Onan Engine?

marinemech

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old (1990's vintage) JD420 that has begun to give me fits. It has become a bear to start (and run) because of flooding issues. The JD Dealer is "pricey" and I am almost ready to toss this one in and buy something that is reliable, BUT, I just bought a NEW Kubota L3240HST so I HAVE to last another year....

Does anyone have hints on carb adjustments or tips. Basically I can get it started by removing the air filter and "drying out" the gas. It will run ROUGH for a few minutes, thane gradually smooth out. It actually runs fairly well ONCE I get it going.... Has anyone had an issue like this with the Onan Engine?

Sounds like something stuck in the inlet needle valve in the carb. Clean the carb and you should be good.

just_puttering

Forum Newbie
Threads
Usually blockabe or sticking float needle valve will cause flooding. also check your float for a hole (gas in it). If you can find the specs you can also bend the flap the needle sits on to adjust the float position