This is the best way to sharpen mower blades

bbbobbb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I tried filing and using a bench grinder but now I use a 90 degree hand grinder. Its the easiest cleanest and fastest way to sharpen thoses blades.(off the mower of course)

yardiron

Threads
I have to agree with you, Ive been using a 4 1/2 grinder for years on mine.
Before that I'd use a large belt sander, which worked well but a slip would destroy an expensive sanding belt.

rekees

Threads
I use a bench grinder except for one blade that wont come off the deck. For that blade I use a 4 1/2" hand grinder. Sharp blades make a world of difference in the quality of the grass cut and wear/tear on the mower.

bellevuebill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Love this new forum btw.
What kind of grinder do you use?
I have been using one that looks like overlapping sandpaper :rolleyes: instead of a solid grinding wheel. This seems to work for me but I was wondering what you use.

rekees

Threads
Doesn't seem like sandpaper would be strong enough but if it works then great! This is the hand grinder I use. $75 at Amazon.com

DEWALT D28110 Heavy-Duty 4-1/2-Inch (115 mm) Small Angle Grinder

41W84qB0TCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

sallymander

Threads
I have been using one that looks like overlapping sandpaper
The flapper sandpaper type wheels work great for rounding and smoothing metal, not what you really want for a blade.
I use a regular metal cutting wheel on my 4.5 angle grinder.

I started using Gator blades from http://mower-blades.agrisupply.com/...615&isort=score&view=grid&w=Gator Blades&rk=1 and have been very impressed with how little they need to be sharpened and how long they last.
Cost a few bucks more but well worth it.

45182.jpg

Last edited:

bellevuebill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same grinder as REKEES but I was wondering what kind of wheel you use. The wheel I use looks like sandpaper but it knocks out the bumps and knicks on the blades. It was what I had on hand and it seems to work. I will try a solid whell next time and see if there is a diiferrence.
The solid wheels come in different grades /grits and I was wondering which would work best for this application of sharpening lawnmower blades.

rekees

Threads
This is the wheel I use. Got it at Amazon.com for $6.30

"DEWALT DW4523 4-1/2-Inch X 1/4-Inch X 5/8-Inch General Purpose Metal Grinding Wheel"

jeff

Threads
I use a Craftsman benchtop belt sander, works great.

S_Perreault

Threads
I use a Mutabo with a solid grinding wheel - i cut 35 lawns a week and sharpen every couple of days