This is the best way to sharpen mower blades

BlueGrass

Threads
I'll have to go and pick up a hand grinder. I never thought of using one to sharpen the blades but it makes sense. A hand grinder would also be a lot easier to control to get the blade the way you want it.

jimbo64

Threads
I tried filing and using a bench grinder but now I use a 90 degree hand grinder. Its the easiest cleanest and fastest way to sharpen thoses blades.(off the mower of course)

hopefully you rebalance them------saves deck bearings:rolleyes:

Mace Canute

Threads
Love this new forum btw.
What kind of grinder do you use?
I have been using one that looks like overlapping sandpaper :rolleyes: instead of a solid grinding wheel. This seems to work for me but I was wondering what you use.

Is this the type you mean, bill?
FRFIOMMF9AZJK09.MEDIUM.jpg

jross

Threads
Since I use a 28" Meg-Mo system on my old John Deere 56, a hand grinder is the way to go. Then again, a hand grinder is the only way for any mower blade.

Dirtysailor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guess I'm old skool and I still hand file those bad boys on my MTD. I can get better balance control and a whole lot sharper, I can shave arm hair with them. Feel like I have better control. Now if I could just get my wife off the mower or to stop running over stuff.

benski

Threads
Indeed! Running over curbs, molehills, and rocks does raise carnage with a carefully sharpened blade. I use an 80 grit wheel on my Milwaukee 4.5" grinder, and then do a balance test before installation.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hand Grinder is great... Belt sander is Wonderful, as mentioned... don't slip. :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
I have used my 4" hand grinder and it is easier to handle but I prefer my 7.5 grinding wheel on my Makita body shop grinder, It will make quick work out of sharpening blades. :thumbsup:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the same grinder as REKEES but I was wondering what kind of wheel you use. The wheel I use looks like sandpaper but it knocks out the bumps and knicks on the blades. It was what I had on hand and it seems to work. I will try a solid whell next time and see if there is a diiferrence.
The solid wheels come in different grades /grits and I was wondering which would work best for this application of sharpening lawnmower blades.
Hi Bellvuebill, I use an 8" grey wheel on a H Frt pedestal grinder. It is good if you can master the "blind" technique where your grind is towards the wheel. The big wheel will knock down the thick blade to create "clearance" behind the primary cutting edge, but requires caution not to burn (overheat) the blade. Also try to be smooth and finish each pass without stopping. At the inward end of the blade (toward bolt hole) try to form a radius rather than a notch. The wheel is coarse and can be used to put the cutting edge on, but a finer wheel for that is probably better. Motoman

gatorblade

Threads
For between sharpenings I use a Sonic crafter with the blades on the mower. First you scrape off the wimpy velcro sandpaper that comes with it. The loops melt anyway with a little pressure. Get some good 40 or so grit self stick paper and it is ok for keeping the blades touched up untill you have to take them off for a real sharpening. I like the gatorblades also,they chew the grass up a little finer.
gatorblade