Lawn Mower tire mounting

Giles

Threads
I bought a set of 23 x 8.50-12 lawn tractor tires off eBay. When I received them, dismounting and mounting instructions were included.
Instructions---
All rims are desighened to have the tire removed and replaced from either the inside or outside of the rim.
Before mounting the tire, be sure the rim sealing area is in good shape.
Use appropriate size 2x4 or other method to spread the tire bead app. 1"-2" inches wider then the bead surface of the rim. Leave overnight if possible.
Use a rubber lubricant or dish soap on the bead surface.

I have mounted many small tires and always had to use a strap around tire to spread the bead to the rims. Not after following these instructions:thumbsup:
I could not believe how easily the tires were to mount--very little tire tool usage:biggrin: while mounting the tires, I simply added air--with valve core removed---tire beads were touching rim all around:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lawnranger

Threads
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to try this instead of using a tube next time I have to mount a tire.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also thanks for the suggestion I have fought with airing up tires more then once. Will surly try it out and for some reason tire off E-bay are the worst.

Giles

Threads
I might add-----I always try to by US made when possible. Problem is, I could not find a single tire made in USA except Carlisle, and you should be aware of Carlisle quality. The tires I bought were made in India----- 23 x 8.50-12 BKT LG 306---8 ply and were cheaper then the 4 ply Carlisle. They have much thicker thread also:thumbsup:
They are of such quality that I would not hesitate to buy again.

Giles

Threads
I dont understand what you do with the 2x4?
You cut two or three 2x4s app. 1 to 2" longer then the outside width of the rim. You then Spread the bead of the tire and place the boards in such a manner to keep the tire spread, overnight preferably. When you remove the boards, the tire beads should be wider then the width of the rims.
Hope this explanation is clear:thumbsup:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess I am a cheap scape and always looking for the less price. I have had it happen more then once spend 10 dollars to save 1 dollar. I just never learn. That is why I buy tires off E-bay. As I take it Giles is telling you to spread the tire wider then the wheel and let set overnight.

D2hornets58

Threads
You cut two or three 2x4s app. 1 to 2" longer then the outside width of the rim. You then Spread the bead of the tire and place the boards in such a manner to keep the tire spread, overnight preferably. When you remove the boards, the tire beads should be wider then the width of the rims.
Hope this explanation is clear:thumbsup:

OK but when you put it on do you then have to use a strap to blow it up because once you stretch it out wont it not be tightly on the rim?

Giles

Threads
OK but when you put it on do you then have to use a strap to blow it up because once you stretch it out wont it not be tightly on the rim?
This is the first time I used this suggestion. After tire was mounted on rim, the tire beads were touching on both sides of the rim all around. This is basically what you are trying to accomplish with a strap.
Compressing center of tire will spread tire bead to touch rim and hold the air.
No I did not have to use a strap on any of the six tires that I mounted. Two tires were new and four were used.
The greatest problem with any tire change is dismounting and mounting. Do it from the correct side of rim:thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
D2hornets58 said:

I think you are thinking of putting the 2x4 s across the tire and not between the two sides

Sent from my iPhone using LMF