News about my Ford LGT-18H

Propliner

Forum Newbie
Threads
So my tractor is a 1986 Ford LGT-18H w/ 48" deck that was bought new by my grandfather. He never had any problems with it until about 3 years ago when he accidentally dropped a screw and washer down the top of the engine. So he gave it too me, and ever since then it has been causeing me problems (I have taken the Magnum engine apart three times). I just graduated from High School and will be heading to college, but the good thing is that I work at a sales and service place for Ventrac, Steiner, Gravely, Grasshopper, Echo, RedMax, and others. The current problem now is that the governor has some issues, among others (including a seal in the transmission). One of my co-workers and I went through what needs to happen on the unit and decided on a high end (to play it safe) of $500. My parents were not too happy, and now they want to fix it just enough so we can get some money out of it. What do you guys think? It was a great tractor before, and I have heard the engines are wonderful. But I mean, even I don't want to put $500 bucks into something that old. Suggestions?

Threads
That is a lot of money to put into something old. I would say if you really like the mower, fix it.
Welcome to LMF!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...
If you are planing to repair/Restore it to Keep & use, okay... If you are going to try to break even with a sale, after repairing... it will be hard to get much for it...
Like lawn mower fanatic said, If you really like it repair & keep it. :smile:KennyV

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Ford Forum. :smile:

Propliner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your input, and for moving this to the Ford forum! I started working on it today. I will work on it myself and then will only have to worry about parts! So far so good!

Threads
I think the more time you spend with this Ford, you will see the value in it. These are very heavy duty well built machines. Best of luck!

Kcharlebois

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: News about my Ford LGT-18H, parts

Hi Guys,

My name is Kirk, I have a ford LGT 18h and am looking for a new grill for it? Any help?

Propliner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: News about my Ford LGT-18H, parts

Hi Guys,

My name is Kirk, I have a ford LGT 18h and am looking for a new grill for it? Any help?

What condition is your grill in? Mine has a few dents in it but could be straightened out. I'd really like to get rid of the whole tractor (if you want the engine it is up to you), so if you'd like the tractor we could negotiate a price.

jphotroder

Forum Newbie
Threads
So my tractor is a 1986 Ford LGT-18H w/ 48" deck that was bought new by my grandfather. He never had any problems with it until about 3 years ago when he accidentally dropped a screw and washer down the top of the engine. So he gave it too me, and ever since then it has been causeing me problems (I have taken the Magnum engine apart three times). I just graduated from High School and will be heading to college, but the good thing is that I work at a sales and service place for Ventrac, Steiner, Gravely, Grasshopper, Echo, RedMax, and others. The current problem now is that the governor has some issues, among others (including a seal in the transmission). One of my co-workers and I went through what needs to happen on the unit and decided on a high end (to play it safe) of $500. My parents were not too happy, and now they want to fix it just enough so we can get some money out of it. What do you guys think? It was a great tractor before, and I have heard the engines are wonderful. But I mean, even I don't want to put $500 bucks into something that old. Suggestions?

do you still have the ford? if so how much would you sell it for?

Propliner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appologize for the late response as I was our of the country until yesterday. Yes I do still have the Ford. Two Christmas' ago I completely rebuilt the engine, but it sprung a leak on my Dad a month later and it threw a rod again. So this past summer I tore the engine apart and it is currently in a box in pieces. The tractor is sound, but the engine obviously needs some new parts or to be completely replaced. I would be interested in selling it, where are you located? The original engine is a Kohler Magnum 18 horizontal shaft, but a friend of mine has a Kohler Magnum 18 verticle shaft that he got for free in a tractor that someone threw a rod in. I have been using parts from his verticle shaft to rebuild mine these past four years. However, I have now used so many of his parts that it would require finding new or used Magnum 18 parts from somewhere else. Let me know what you think, but at think point I'd like to get $300 for it. I could even throw in both all the Magnum horizontal and verticle parts.