Got a Scotts 1742, How do I inspect, adjust or replace the brakes?

ChefP

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Got a Scotts 1742, How do I inspect, adjust or replace the brakes?
Scotts 1742, How to adjust brakes?
Hi!

New to this forum and let me apologize up front if this has been addressed before, but I tried to search for an answer with no luck. My baby of 10 years has an issue that I cannot resolve. The brakes have been getting worse for the last couple of years and now they're almost non-existent. I can't see any adjustment and I'm plenty mechanically inclined, so I don't mind digging into it. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

ChefP

ChefP

Forum Newbie
Threads
bump.........anyone?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Follow the rod from the brake pedal to the tranny. It will attach to the brake lever. Behind this lever is the brake disc. On both sides of the disc are the brake pads. You should see a nut that holds the brake lever on. If the pads are not wore you should be able to tighten this nut to tighten the brakes. If this description is wrong tell me what you find. If the description is right and you want to take it apart, post back with what you see and I'll offer a few tips.

ChefP

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the disc and the outboard pad was missing. I had an old car brake pad (new) in a box so I took my cut off wheel and cut a block 1/2" x 1/2" x 1" out of the pad material. Slipped it in, made some adjustments and now it stops on a dime. Thanks for the advice!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad I could help. Just don't spill your liquid refreshment wnen you stop too fast.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to say, did you install the small metal plate between the the new pad and the two metal pins that push the pad against the disc?