Help: pto belt replacement and mower deck drive belt 220

Grasshopper220

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help: pto belt replacement and mower deck drive belt 220
Help please can anyone offer some direction on how to change these belts. I have a grasshopper 220, mid mount mower and I'm looking to replace the pto belt and mower deck drive belt. I am fairly mechanically inclined but unfortunately I do not have a manual and I'm unfamiliar with these parts. Any advice and direction would be much appreciated.:smile:

cabdor

Threads
  • / Help: pto belt replacement and mower deck drive belt 220
First off the belt is some what off brand size. (5/8X137 1/8") there is not a Grass Hopper dealer close by for me. I ordered one from mgfsupply.com part#(12-10744) cost was $37.15 fit like a glove. Now for the hard part. There is two ways to replace it. Starting at the rear feed the belt over the clutch and under the two idlers at the bottom.Feed the belt to the mowing deck.Start the belt on the main spindle by hand take a socket wrench that fit the spindle nut. I thank its a (9/16 or 5/8") Hold the belt on the pully as tight as possible and at the same time turn your wrench the belt will catch and run on the pully. Best to run the belt on right hand so as not lossen the spindle nut. The other way. take the lift hand idler off (viewed from the rear of the mower) Hold the idler up with a crow bar the spring will take it away from you.After idler is off and you have the belt routed around the other two shives and the clutch place the idler on the belt and replace the bolt that holds to the idler to the idler to brackett. Not as bad as it sounds BUT it can be a bugger for one man. I have a 220 myself thats the way chang it. Hope this is some help...........