John deere 425 hard start

cfwetzler

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD 425 has Kawasaki FD620D V twin gas engine. 1464 hours and recently became hard to start.
Cranks and cranks, sputters and back fires and will not start. Plugs are wet, put in dry plugs and may start then.

Replaced electric fuel pump. No change. Dealer suggested ignition delay module, no change.

Removed carb, cleaned and replaced needle valve and fuel shut off solenoid (tested bad)

When cranking without air cleaner see raw fuel pulsing out of carb, back fires, sputters, plugs get wet and no start.

It does not use oil, no other problems. If can get started, will run fine to mow, etc. and will easily re-start when warm. Let sit and she gets real stubborn.

I am at wits end on this - the carb looks so simple (?) but seems to be flooding the engine.

Any thoughts on this - if no help will have to take to dealer as not sure what to do next.

Thanks for the suggestions

cfwetzler

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got if fixed. The fule shut off module in the bottom of the carb tested bad and was allowing fuel to leak into the manifold. I replaced the needle valve under the float and once correctly adjusted all is fine. Due to lack of rain it has been sitting for about 2 weeks and last night I thought I'd see how it started and was fine. It fired right up, ran fine at full throtle.

largo ranch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like what is happening to mine. 9 months old and 32 hrs on meter. Wont start to point of draining battery. Once started, runs good. Will re start warm but not cold or if has been sitting a few days or more.

cfwetzler

Forum Newbie
Threads
It now seems that I only thought that I had it fixed. Was starting better this fall/winter and now has reverted to its old evil ways.

I am back to crank, crank, sputter, sputter, backfire and all. Have to keep grinding starter until it catches and runs, really rough at first then smooths out.

Once warm barely need to touch the key and it is going. Seems to run strong and smooth once warm, no smoke, no sputter.

I think that the next stop will be the dealer as have been through the carb/fuel system and have no idea what to do next.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check the valve, both clearance and if they are sealing properly.

cfwetzler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah - I have been thinking about the valves because of the popping/bakfiring. Have already checked valve tappett clearance and is OK.

Guess that I better do a compression check and/or pull the heads.

Thanks for the suggestion - steers my thinking away from the fuel system.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you're able to do so, I would do a cylinder leak down test. It will give you a better idea it the valves are the problem.

JoeM(GA)

Threads
I have a PDF of the tech manual if needed, shoot me your email if you want it

Joe

PJ

Threads
My JD 425 has Kawasaki FD620D V twin gas engine. 1464 hours and recently became hard to start.
Cranks and cranks, sputters and back fires and will not start. Plugs are wet, put in dry plugs and may start then.

Replaced electric fuel pump. No change. Dealer suggested ignition delay module, no change.

Removed carb, cleaned and replaced needle valve and fuel shut off solenoid (tested bad)

When cranking without air cleaner see raw fuel pulsing out of carb, back fires, sputters, plugs get wet and no start.

It does not use oil, no other problems. If can get started, will run fine to mow, etc. and will easily re-start when warm. Let sit and she gets real stubborn.

I am at wits end on this - the carb looks so simple (?) but seems to be flooding the engine.

Any thoughts on this - if no help will have to take to dealer as not sure what to do next.

Thanks for the suggestions

To me it sounds like timing did you have a suden stop by any chance? Could be a key that was shared causing the misfiring
PJ

mac

Threads
I finally got if fixed. The fule shut off module in the bottom of the carb tested bad and was allowing fuel to leak into the manifold. I replaced the needle valve under the float and once correctly adjusted all is fine. Due to lack of rain it has been sitting for about 2 weeks and last night I thought I'd see how it started and was fine. It fired right up, ran fine at full throtle.

I'd recheck that fuel shut-off module again. It kind of sounds like you might be getting dirt in the carb somehow.:mad: