John deere 425 hard start

cfwetzler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got the 425 started on Saturday to warm up for a compression test. Took off the air cleaner and the base was pretty oily and brown, milky looking oil was oozing out of the creancase vent. Drained the coolant, did not seem to have oil in it, did need changing. No leaks, no declining levels in the system.

Checked oil, looks fine, no evidence of coolant contamination.

Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 mininum in the manual.

Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily. My neighbor was helping me, he has a 425 also that starts very easily and the base under that air filter is completely dry, no oily residue.

I'm tempted to pull the heads once the weather breaks as I am in an unheated garage in southeatern Michigan.

PJ

Threads
Got the 425 started on Saturday to warm up for a compression test. Took off the air cleaner and the base was pretty oily and brown, milky looking oil was oozing out of the creancase vent. Drained the coolant, did not seem to have oil in it, did need changing. No leaks, no declining levels in the system.

Checked oil, looks fine, no evidence of coolant contamination.

Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 mininum in the manual.

Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily. My neighbor was helping me, he has a 425 also that starts very easily and the base under that air filter is completely dry, no oily residue.

I'm tempted to pull the heads once the weather breaks as I am in an unheated garage in southeatern Michigan.

Hi
Hard start when cold. Is the choke working or the cold start injection system? Try to ad a little extra fuel with cold start
PJ

BOBBIEJOE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a PDF of the tech manual if needed, shoot me your email if you want it

Joe

Hey joe mine is doing the same thing could you shoot me the PDF of the tech manual it would help out a lot here is my e mail. Smithbobbiejoe@ yahoo.com ,thanks a lot Bobbiejoe

BBO

Threads
...Did compression test, got 190 PSI on one side and 195 PSI (max) on other, higher than the 170 minimum in the manual.
Not sure what to do next, it will start and run, once warm starts easily.

So what is the update on the problem?
I had to put a set of rings in my 445 after about 1000 hours.