murray push mower wont turn

D2hornets58

Threads
I have a 20 inch murray push mower. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine. It has been running fine up until now. I went to start it today and it wouldnt start. After pulling the pull cord multiple times it locked up. Now i cant pull the cord anymore. There is no grass clogged up near the blades. I took out the spark plug and i was still unable to pull it. The oil level is fine. Any ideas what this could be and why it happened?????????????????????????????????????

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the oil, does it smell like gas, if it does the float needle valve in the carb probably stuck open and filled the cylinder and crankcase with gas. If I am correct and you find fuel in the crankcase or cylinder it is not a hard fix if you are handy. First, pull the spark plug and ground the spark plug wire. Pull the engine over a couple of times carefully, as fuel may come flying out. Second, change the oil. Third, get a new needle and seat, plus bowl gasket and rebuild the carb.

D2hornets58

Threads
OK ill check the oil for gas later on...Thanks

D2hornets58

Threads
I smelled the oil and it definatly smelled like gas. When I tried to pull it with the spark plug out i still couldnt pull it.

greggn

Threads
The crankcase / behind the piston is full, leaving no room for the piston to go to bottom dead cylinder position. So instead of compressing air you are trying to compress oil/gas.