3810 need coil replacement

TvonDeak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, its an ignition coil.

I looked at the page you sent me, and I found it earlier today as well. Unfortunately, the item that would be the ignition coil indicates two options: L1 which is discontinued, and L2 which isn't shown (or priced) in the parts ordering listing below the diagram.

I think that pursuing the G400 option is the best bet. I'm going to remove the engine cowling, take a close look at the coil (and surrounding stuff) and go from there.

Tom

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am with you on that one my friend.:thumbsup:

syklops

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know about other 3810 mowers but mine does not have a condeser. I do not hink it has points either. not positive as have not removed the flywheel.

bill

TvonDeak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I finally got around to pulling out the ignition coil from the engine. In order to get at the ignition coil, you have to remove the engine. In order to remove the engine you have to dismantle a lot of the chassis and remove the drive shaft.

Now that I have the ignition coil out and sitting in front of me, there are no points, there is no condenser. It is an ignition coil period. There are undoubtedly electronics inside the casing of the ignition coil.

In doing a search for the part, I cannot find a replacement. To date, the places that show that they have the part don't have the part when I call them and they tell me that they can't reorder it. Why do they still then show the part and availability for it on their sites; sloppiness is all I can guess. I can imagine that I was not the only person to contact them for that part.

Anyway, if you are looking for a replacement to the ignition coil for this tractor then you're out of luck until someone can find a source for a replacement. I can't find the replacement and I have put a fair number of hours into looking for a replacement.

Wish I had better news to report,
Tom

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a way that you could take a photo of it and post it up here, there's got to be a coil out there that would fit it.

TvonDeak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's a photo of the ignition coil laid out on a one inch grid.
Tom

Attachments

• HT3810 ignition coil.jpg
    HT3810 ignition coil.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 30

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a look at this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 15

TvonDeak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I think that ignition coil you pictured, although very similar, is for a smaller engine and is very likely to have a smaller flywheel. The ignition wire is considerably shorter indicating that it is for a smaller engine.

And if it is for a smaller engine, I see another problem. The armature of the ignition coil has to be situated fairly close to the surface of the magnets on the flywheel. If the ignition coil is designed for a significantly smaller flywheel (of a smaller engine) then the outside edges of the armature can be situated close to the surface of the flywheel magnets but the inside edges will not be as close. And finally, the spacing for the mounting holes are rather critical. I have not seen dimensions provided for any of the ignition coils out there.

There may be a equivalent ignition coil out there but I haven't seen one close enough to take a chance on getting it.

Tom

TvonDeak

Forum Newbie
Threads
Everyone,
I have one last post.

Unfortunately, I have not found a replacement for this ignition coil. However, I have found a simple test to determine if your ignition coil is bad. One of the two wires has a snap connector end, the other of the two wires goes to the spark plug. The wire with the snap connector end connects to the ignition switch. The ignition switch also relays the switch states of 1) the clutch being in neutral, 2) the mower deck not being engaged, 3) the ignition switch in the on position and 4) the driver being seated. If you disconnect that wire from the ignition switch then all those safety mechanisms are disabled; that is, you can start the motor but you can't turn it off with the ignition switch. In order to turn it off, you have to connect the wire from the ignition coil to the ignition switch.

This test will help you determine if the problem is in the ignition switch or the ignition coil. One last bit of bad news though - the ignition switch is no longer available either. But if the problem is the ignition switch you can operate the mower (albeit unsafely) until you figure out how to fix the ignition switch.

Tom

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited: