Neighbor's bushes over fence

Hershey

Threads
This is something that is continuing to be a bit of a problem for us. Keep in mind this isn't a neighborhood where folks talk. We're lucky if we know the other's name. Anyway, their bushes overhang our fence, and I don't want to do the cleanup of their bushes and leaves. Any recourse or suggestions?

Walt 2002

Threads
Well I certainly am no lawyer but in most states, trees, bushes, etc. overhanging your property line can be trimmed to the line by you. Of course it normally is good practice to discuss it with the neighbor first.

Walt Conner

adan

Threads
Anything above your property is yours. In ancient Latin: Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos ("To whoever owns the land, shall belong the earth to its center and up to the heavens.")

Same question occurs with respect to a branch of a fruit tree from the neighbor's side of the fence. Expect your neighbor to understand that. But I recommend involving the local authority or sheriff to clear up matters.

carla6

Threads
I think you have to just speak to them 1:1 and be honest without making a big hassle out of it. Hopefully, as god neighbors they will respect your views and clean up after themselves.

Usedtorent

Threads
Why not just ask them to trim them. It would be the neighborly thing to do. If you just go and do it yourself they might do something back that you don't like. Take the first step and chat with them.

littleAudrey

Threads
If you are nervous of talking to them why not drop them a little note just saying something like, "Hi, I hope you won't mind if we trim back the stuff overhanging our yard, or maybe you'd prefer to do it. Either way is fine. If I don't hear by Friday, I'll go ahead and do it. Ciao!"

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keep in mind this isn't a neighborhood where folks talk. We're lucky if we know the other's name.
suggestions?

This is the real problem...
I would use this as an opportunity to fix this...
Get to know your neighbor, you might even end up liking them...:laughing:

I am very lucky and like the few neighbors I have.
... but then I do try to like most folks... (I have been known to make an exception now and then)...
:smile:KennyV

Gabi

Threads
We just had our land surveyed because my neighbor is clear cutting his land to the East of me. This neighbor has caused a bit of trouble in previous years for me as well. I have had both good and bad neighbors over the years, best is try to talk, if that doesn't work, take it into your own hands.

pebbles

Threads
I'd be very careful about attempting to trim the overhanging bushes without speaking to your neighbor first, my opinion is, the bush is theirs entirely, the overhanging bit doesn't belong to you just because it's overhanging into your property.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A 5 percent solution of any brand of glyphosate will solve your problem. Using a wet sponge (not dripping) of this solution, wick both sides of the leaves on your side of the fence. If the whole plant dies, "gosh, it must have had some disease". Poor thing.