Gator running rough

Parkmower

Threads
We have a 2002 2x4 gator with 2500 hrs on it.
It's been running real sputtery. Sound like it going to die then picks back up like it got a burst of fuel. It had a mechanical fuel pump.
I've checked the in line filter and seems to be ok.
So do you think the problem is in the carb or fuel pump? Just lookin for a place to start. I'm thinkin carb.

Bison

Threads
Did you check the fuel cap for plugged breather hole,
Vacuum in the tank aint helping to get fuel to the carb.

Parkmower

Threads
The caps are not vented says right on them. But they've run fine for years like that. But I did try loosening the cap with no change.

Parkmower

Threads
So I've taken the carb off and cleaned it. Checked the valves. Checked fuel filter. Cranked engine with fuel line off carb and got fuel and opened up mechanical fuel pump and it seems ok. It runs good with choke about 1/3 on. Air filter is new. I think it's sucking air somewhere.
Any ideas? Right now I have a zip tie on choke cable to keep it choked a little bit so it runs ok.

Bison

Threads
Seems to me still an fuel supply issue.
Did you take the carb completely apart and did you pass a wire trough all the orifices in the carb and blow it out with compressed air?
Fuel needle valve free moving?
float set correctly?
Mixture screw set correct?
Blue spark?
Tried new spark plug?

Parkmower

Threads
Bison said:
Seems to me still an fuel supply issue.
Did you take the carb completely apart and did you pass a wire trough all the orifices in the carb and blow it out with compressed air?
Fuel needle valve free moving?
float set correctly?
Mixture screw set correct?
Blue spark?
Tried new spark plug?

All yes except new plug.
It Is running good with 1/3 choke on.

xp14629

Threads
The tanks are vented with an external line. With it running, spray carb clean around the carb, intake, throttle shaft to find out of there is an external air leak. Have the valves been adjusted?