Ryobi 40 Volt lithium ion string trimmer

sumitson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I own a ryobi 40 volt lithium ion string trimmer. I asked ryobi if I can add attachments and/or change the string to a thicker gauge, but they said no even though it says on the box i can add multiple tools. Has anybody used attachments with the ryobi 40 volt powerhead which comes with the trimmer/edger attachment or changed the string to a thicker gauge?

possum

Threads
The spec sheet shows a no on attachment capable, calls for ,065 string. Does say the head swivels to do multiple task like edgeing. Bigger string takes more power and puts more stress on the motor and head, so they are going to try and limit the size of the string.

sumitson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah but does different string use so much power that I actually can't even use it? Also, on the box it says multiple tools and theres an unscrewable part at the shaft where I can take off the trimmer/edger attachment (the string one) which swivels 90 degrees for the edger part of it, but it's still just one attachment that came with it, and it would fit another attachment there, hence why it says Multiple tools on the box. That's part of the reason I got it, so I don't think they should've put that on the box if I can't actually use multiple tools and the manual says powerhead and trimmer/edger attachment implying to me that it's removable and theres a part on the shaft that is.

Sonicboom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I feel the same way, kind of cheated. I bought the 40v trimmer in hopes of attaching a blade edger the way you can with the older 18v ryobi. I will probably return mine to HD and get the 18 or 24v models with the expand-it options, especially since Ryobitools pushed back the release date for their 40v chainsaw from early June to Oct-Sept. On top of that the 40v blower is less powerful than the 18v blower..