John Deere Hydro 185

Cherrypicker

Forum Newbie
Threads
In addition to this machine we also have a JD 210 with a 10 hp Kohler and 46" deck, and a Toro with a 22hp Kohler Courage engine, 50" deck. Seen some disparaging comment on the Courage engine, but after 4 years we haven't experienced the case cracking problems others have.

None of these machines have had much TLC, the 210, right now can use a carb rebuild and likely new set of points, I just cleaned them up with a file last time, and it's not running real well now.

Just replaced the drive belt on the 185 and that is no picnic, you have to remove the electric clutch for the mower drive, a steering link, and a cross member, and there are evidently at least two belts to choose from. Once reassembled, I couldn't get the mower to start and once started couldn't get the clutch to engage. Thought there might be a problem with the ignition switch as I could jump some contact in the ignition pigtail and get it running. New switch is reasonable at $17, but that doesn't include the key or the jam nut to fasten the switch to the dash, jam nut was $8, but I was able to use the old key and jam nut. Didn't turn out to be the switch anyway, I just didn't firmly connect the electrical connector from the clutch, every thing appear to be working now.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile: