14 horsepower briggs and stratton ohv smokes after 15 seconds of running

chevyman984

Threads
  • / 14 horsepower briggs and stratton ohv smokes after 15 seconds of running
My simplicity lawnmower with a 14 hp ohv smokes after 10-15 seconds of running. I'm not sure if its burning oil or is it overloading on gas. Or is it a blown head gasket?? HELP ME!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What color is the smoke. If blue or white/grey it is oil and could be a blown head gasket. If the smoke is black then it is running rich from fuel. Check the oil to see if it is overly full and smells like gas.

chevyman984

Threads
What color is the smoke. If blue or white/grey it is oil and could be a blown head gasket. If the smoke is black then it is running rich from fuel. Check the oil to see if it is overly full and smells like gas.
Its a bluish smoke. But the weird thing is the engine practically brand new. And it must of happened overnight because I didn't finish mowing that night so the next evening when out thre and was backfiring blue smoke and finally got it running it about choked me to death. And the oil is right at full.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say how old the engine is. Practically brand new would be a warranty situation. If it is over 2 years old I agree with IL look for gas in the oil or blown head gasket.

chevyman984

Threads
You don't say how old the engine is. Practically brand new would be a warranty situation. If it is over 2 years old I agree with IL look for gas in the oil or blown head gasket.

Its over 2 years old, but it shouldnt be anything major because I only used it like 15 times. I will check the head gasket and I smelled the oil and it doesn't smell like gas at all, smells like oil.