John Deere Js20 won't start after i stop to take a 15 minute break.

chevyman984

Threads
  • / John Deere Js20 won't start after i stop to take a 15 minute break.
Alright oil in cylinder is 93-95 cold

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That shows it could well be the rings.

chevyman984

Threads
That shows it could well be the rings.
oh my goodness it's been so long!! I have forgotten about this forum!! How is everybody???? So glad to be back :)

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you fix the problem...?

PJ

Threads
I got a lawnmower from my friend, he said it wouldn't run. But honestly all I did was put gas in it. He said it sat behind his house for 5 years. So I fill the tank up and pulled it 2 times and it fired right up. So he said I could have it. I got it home and changed the oil, spark plug, and air filters. And I know I shouldn't be mowing this much grass with a push mower, but I do because I need the exercise haha. So the property is 5 acres andi used it all last year (2011) with it starting on the first pull everytime. I could go outside in the middle of winter and pull it once and it would start. But this year it started acting up :( . It starts on the first pull when the motor is cold, but once you get the engine warmed up, and stop for 25 minutes, I will pull and pull 15-20 times for it to start. After it sits there and cools for a few hours, it will start right up. Any ideas what this could be???

By the sound of it the mower has been working hard since you got it. Do compression test. Two reasons, 1)the valves could be worn and not sealing properly 2) The rings could be worn. Now if the compression is low put about a table spoon full of clean engine oil trough the spark plug hole repeat the compression test, if the compresion is now better the rings is the problem if not the valve clearance is your problem.

All the best

PJ

chevyman984

Threads
By the sound of it the mower has been working hard since you got it. Do compression test. Two reasons, 1)the valves could be worn and not sealing properly 2) The rings could be worn. Now if the compression is low put about a table spoon full of clean engine oil trough the spark plug hole repeat the compression test, if the compresion is now better the rings is the problem if not the valve clearance is your problem.

All the best

PJ
Yes it has worked hard. Been a good old lawnmower. And boy I can't wait until my grass starts growing. I love mowing!!!!!!