John Deere Js20 won't start after i stop to take a 15 minute break.

chevyman984

Threads
  • / John Deere Js20 won't start after i stop to take a 15 minute break.
check compression, sounds like it may be low. or timing may be off slightly. check shear pin in flywheel.

I don't have a compression tester, could I just get one at a hardware store?

jetrail

Threads
Autozone might sell them but they are cheaper at harbor freight tools . Is it getting good spark wfter sitting ??? .

chevyman984

Threads
Autozone might sell them but they are cheaper at harbor freight tools . Is it getting good spark wfter sitting ??? .

Yes its getring good spark after sitting

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok I replaced the head gasket, put on a shut off valve, rebuild the carb, and oil the autochoke and I mowed for about an hour, stopped for a 15 minute break, same d*mn thing, I pulled five or six time and it started. When I pull it, I sounded like it was popping in the carb. And it does actually feel like it it turns over real easy when I pull it too.

I would go for a compression test, you may find that the intake valve is a little open when hot, being maybe too tight or just not seating, this will give you (popping back in the carb and also bad starting)
1 Go for compression test, remember to do it when the engine will not start, (HOT) if that is low.
2 Look at the valve (tappet clearance) if o.k make sure they're are seating properly.

chevyman984

Threads
Hi everybody, I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back up on here, we had a really bad storm here in nelson county which knocked out power for 5 days with no air conditioning. And then when the power did come back on, the phones were down and internet too for several days, and also dealing with the insurance that wont pay for a big freaking oak tree that fell over and smashed my 1999 suburban. So yeah so sorry!!!! And thanks for everybodys help!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thats ok, little old Johnny Deere can wait, you need the time to get you're normal life into gear, come back when you ready and let us know if you did get the JS20 going. sorry to hear about the bad new's.:frown:

chevyman984

Threads
Hi engineman!!! I'm back up on here. Thanks for everything!! How have you been?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fine thank you, any news on the Johnny Deere...?

chevyman984

Threads
Umm not really. I bought the brggs and stratton maintenance minder, which was probably the worst 30 bucks I've spent in my entire life. And I'm getting ready to give it a complete overhaul/ tune up.I'm gonna change the oil and air filter and precleaner, spark plug, sharpen blade again, and I broke the gas cap on it, so I'm gonna get the frest start cap that comes with 2 cartridges of fresh start fuel stabilizer. Idk if that's why its not starting or not. Ive just been having to pull the cord extra extra hard and it wll start on the first pull. But that about yanks my arm off lol. So if it still does it, ill check compression and all so if that's the problem, ill have to replace the rings. I know it has nothing to do with like the fuel because I spray a shot of starting fluid in it and it still wont start. I know I mentioned the fresh start fuel stabilizer up there, but ill try it and see anyway. Either way ill do it because it would probably be good for it. So that's all the news I've got so far. Actually tomorrow when I get my check I'm gonna ride on over to homedepot and lowes and maybe walmart to get everything for it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well you come back and let us know how you do, the only thing I will say is, just take you're time and look things over and do part by part, am sure you will win in the end, in the mean time all the best.