Repairs Honda Harmony HRB 215

kri223

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower Honda Harmony HRB 215 has lost propulsions after 13 years of problem free operation. It seems that the clutch lever has now less resistance and the cable is a bit loose, but is still in place. I am looking for an instruction on how to replace the clutch and the cable, whichever is necessary. Thank you in advance.
Peter

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mower Honda Harmony HRB 215 has lost propulsions after 13 years of problem free operation. It seems that the clutch lever has now less resistance and the cable is a bit loose, but is still in place. I am looking for an instruction on how to replace the clutch and the cable, whichever is necessary. Thank you in advance.
Peter

Peter, just so I can get you the exact procedures, what is the frame serial number? It's on the back of the mower deck, in the form of "MXXX-1234567" I'll post what service info I have for your model.

kri223

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert -

Thanks for your response. The SN printed on the machine is: "MZBA6404218 KK".

Thank you, Peter

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Peter, you have a "K4" model. The most common problems are usually cable related. There are two cables that control the drive, a clutch cable that connects to the large black lever on the handlebar and a shift ("change") cable that connect to the short orange lever on the side. See the attached pages for details.

Per the shop manual, here's the full list of "mower doesn't move" troubleshooting:

1. Check the drive clutch lever and shift linkage for any damage and confirm they are adjusted properly.
2. Make sure the pump control arm on the transmission operates properly.
3. Make sure the transmission pulley rotates properly.
4. Check the pawl assembly of each rear wheel for damage.
5. Check the hydrostatic fluid level. Check for leaks.
6. Check if there is water in the transmission fluid.

FYI, your mower is outside the range of any service bulletins I could find.

Attachments

• hrb k4 change cable.jpg
    hrb k4 change cable.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 101
  • hrb k4 clutch cable.jpg
    hrb k4 clutch cable.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 103

kri223

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks, Robert. I found some charts on the web and managed to disassemble the bottom shell and get to the transmission and the cable. Unfortunately the transmission is not serviceable, so the whole unit with the shaft would need to be replaced. I inspected the cables and see them in a good shape, so now will focus on the adjusters as you pointed out. I suspect the clutch got overheated when making frequent turns while mowing. If this wont work I will replace the unit, which I found runs @ $110 (better than a new $700 Honda mower).

I attached the diagrams, for your reference.

Thank you very much for you assistance.

P

Attachments

• Honda HRB 215 Clutch-1 of 2.jpg
    Honda HRB 215 Clutch-1 of 2.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Honda HRB 215 Clutch-2 of 2.jpg
    Honda HRB 215 Clutch-2 of 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 94

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will replace the unit, which I found runs @ $110 (better than a new $700 Honda mower).
P

The old HRB series have the nice commercial-grade GXV engines, too. As long as the mower deck, handlebar, adjusters, etc. are in good shape, for sure, it will be worth the investment to keep it running vs. buying new. When and if that old engine finally starts to wear, you can rebuild it, as parts will be available for a long time (there will millions of those engines built over the past 25 years).

wasjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a propulsion slow down on my Honda Harmony 215 Hydrostatic (1993 model) - most of the time. It seems that once in a while it will be fast but I can determine no rhyme or reason why. I have taken off the wheels and actually took apart the bottom to take a look at the trans and belt and clean it up and adjusted the cable, but the only noticeable thing I see wrong is that the left rear wheel has a negative camber and the gear is not uniformly worn. I swapped the rear wheels, and know it is not the wheel causing the negative camber. Incidently, the right wheel and gear show no wear - I almost think it may not be driving!

Anyway, I have read that the hydrostatic oil should be changed but I do not see anywhere on mine where I could. None of the pictures I see relating to the drive and trans looks like mine.

Any ideas?