Cub Cadet LT1042 PTO won't engage

apbuchanan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to the forums. First checked y'all out a couple of weeks ago when had previous problem. Turned out to be the fuse.

This time: The engine runs, but the PTO will not engage. What things should I check out? I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, but am learning.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet Forum. :smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds to me like you had a short in the PTO wire to the frame and the fuse blew and now maybe it broke???

Sdot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not an expert either but I did just fix a problem with my PTO. My wires had became unattached. Crawl under there and follow the wires from the clutch up to the switch. Somebody will be along shortly to offer some real help. Hang in there

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not an expert either but I did just fix a problem with my PTO. My wires had became unattached. Crawl under there and follow the wires from the clutch up to the switch. Somebody will be along shortly to offer some real help. Hang in there

If the wire became unattached why would it blow the fuse? Check to see if you got volage to the PTO clutch or not would be your frist step. Easy test with a 12 volt test light. If you do have volage to your PTO coil I beleave there could be a too large of a air gap adjustment bwtween coil and PTO clutch presure plate. Some PTO clutches have two wires to them so make sure you geting negative volage as well as postive volage.

JohnnieB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same problem with my cub cadet and GOING CRAZY here trying to figure it out!! I dont have power going to my clutch anyone know what my next step should be???

SC trailrunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also had the same problem on my LT1042葉he PTO wouldn't engage the blade when I pulled on the PTO knob. Frustrating! I discovered, at least on my lawnmower, that it was dirt and grime interfering where the switch and internal wiring met. Before you spend any $$ at a lawnmower repair place or for a new PTO clutch or switch, try this擁t worked for me just today: Remove the battery (properly : ) so that you can access the wire cluster that the PTO switch is attached to under the dashboard. After that "unplug" the wire cluster from the PTO switch casing. Use compressed air to blow out the terminals in the wire cluster, then take an old toothbrush and clean off the prongs on the PTO switch casing. Plug the wire cluster back into the PTO switch then put the battery back in. Voila! Hopefully it will work for you. Good luck man!

LT1045wrh

Threads
Had this problem on my LT1045, finally after a year of this and that, I replaced the ignition switch, and it worked like a charm. Spent so much $ on other things I was mad at myself for not trying that first.
Good luck,
Wendy

jk3700

Threads
I'd sure like to hear what you folks ended up doing to fix the other PTO problems in this thread.

Please share.

miller_time

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the wires that run down to the PTO. In my case, the wires were pulled pretty tight and the yellow protective wrap was bunched up and not protecting the wires as they route past the pulley. The pulley had cut through one of the wires and most of the insulation. A quick butt splice and adjustment of the sleeve and all is well. Make sure when you route the wires back over the pulley that it is free and clear of any rubbing issues. You might be able to position the connector at the pass through hole in the frame and zip tie it to avoid the wires rubbing.