Engine Kholer Courage

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always been a good fan for the Kohler engine, (Until) Just got a Troy Built mower with a Kohler SV590 Courage engine in it for a repair job. Leaking oil bad. Disassembled the engine today and found large cracks in the engine crankcase and as far as I can see no reason for it. Seeing I can't find another crankcase I am going to see if I can get it welded tomorrow?? I don't know very much about the Kholer Courage engine but it looks very poorly built and cheap.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The courage is "enjoying" a very bad reputation... poor casting cracks have been common, if you don't choose to weld them, you can clean it up and use epoxy ... It certainly is not the old reliable Kohler I am use to ... KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its taking me a little time to get use to the changes to this forum. I had the Courage block welded and then I epoxied it also. I had to order the new seals and gaskets and they won't be here till the end of the week. I will let you know how it turns out.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have always been a good fan for the Kohler engine, (Until) Just got a Troy Built mower with a Kohler SV590 Courage engine in it for a repair job. Leaking oil bad. Disassembled the engine today and found large cracks in the engine crankcase and as far as I can see no reason for it. Seeing I can't find another crankcase I am going to see if I can get it welded tomorrow?? I don't know very much about the Kholer Courage engine but it looks very poorly built and cheap.

The first courage engines had crack block problems, Kohler claimed it was due to improperly torqued cover screws on the assembly line. They also had camshaft problems. Kohler made changes to the camshaft and the spacer washer about 3 different times.

Dealers referred to it as the bucket engine, since the crankcase appeared to be upside down.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am no longer a fan of the Courage either. Kohler says they are trying to solve all the problems but new ones keep creeping up. This spring I have had at least 6 blown head gaskets, just finished one on Friday. One unit had it blown on both sides. One I blamed on overheating, but couldn't find a reason for the others. What really puzzles me is that the new gaskets come as a kit with new head bolts. Is there something wrong they are not letting out.

scott47429

Threads
yes rivets there probably is something there not letting you know I'm a auto mechanic and about 90% of all cars today when you do a head gasket you have to replace the bolts because there stretch bolts and can't be reused i don't know if its the same with those engines but just something to think about

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only time in the past where I have had to replace head bolts on small engines is on the Wisconsin VG engines and some of the water cooled engines. All of these were cast iron blocks where you definitely had a high heat condition. With the amount of blown head gasket problems by all engine manufactures I think they are looking for ways to solve them and this is their current solution.

scott47429

Threads
yeah true butr the best way to solve the current problems with the engines is to stop trying to improve something that worked just fine to start with like the older ones

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I do see that new head bolts do come with the head gasket. Now you got me wondering if there is a certain way to torque them?? The only thing I have now is a service manual and I will use the torque specs from there..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I probably use the same service manual and do the same. One thing I have starting do about a year ago, is making sure that there is no lube on the bolts or in the cylinder threads. I actually spray each with a quick drying cleaner (Electronics type) and then install. Don't know if it helps, but have had no comebacks.