CubCadet Riding Mower Wont Reach Full Idle

JimT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing the other day and my cub cadet just shut off, not like it ran out of gas it was like the key was turned off. I checked fuel, replaced fuel filter and sprayed carb cleaner. It will turn over, it is getting fuel and spark it will start firing once every few seconds never reaching full idle. can sometimes get it to reach full idle but it generally dies quickly after. I have never seen anything like it, cause it does fire and run but wont fire regularly to reach full speed. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say what engine you have and how old it is. I suspect that you may have a weak or shorting coil. Can you check to see if you have a good constant spark? If you can get your hands on a good inline spark tester so you can test the spark under pressure would be the best.

JimT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I said it had spark, I guess I should have been more specific, I took the plug out and the spark is strong and constant when the key is being turned. Ya I am trying to find someone who has a tester to see if it is the same when the motor starts. The motor is older probably 15 years or so, it is a 15.5 hp kholer I believe I will have to double check. The wiring has been 'jerry riged" by previous owner so I have been going through it trying to see if that is the cause but I think the spark is fine unless when I stop turning the key the spark gets less strong but only way to test that is with a tester that goes around the wire, will any one work for like standard 120 volt ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have an old plug, you can try making a tester, by opening the gap to about .080-.100". If you can jump that gap constantly holding it against the block, I would say that you coil is good.

JimT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Would that tell me if there is spark when I stop cranking over with the key ? isnt there also some electrical issues that could cause that as well ? Ill try that tomarrow and see what happens but With how strong the spark looks I believe it will still jump the gap.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can get a spark to jump that gap it is good no matter what color.