My chain saw won't stay running

KDL

Threads
I fired up my chainsaw to cut some logs and it won't stay running, it cuts out and if you don't constantly give it gas it will stall out and you have to restart it, I think my plug might be bad or wet, do you think that would make it act like this?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
KDL
Fuel will vary from batch to batch, also different oil will make the fuel oil mix variable...
Check that the air filter is clean and then adjust the high and low speed screws on the carb as your owners manual recommends.... :smile:KennyV

scooter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like there is dirt in the filter or in the fuel, give it a good clean out. If it were the spark plug at fault I don't think the saw would start at all.

KDL

Threads
Thanks, I will look into these things and see if I can get it to run better. I would like to get it running better to get the rest of the wood done up before it gets too cold to do it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, I will look into these things and see if I can get it to run better. I would like to get it running better to get the rest of the wood done up before it gets too cold to do it.

I'd say you either have contaminated fuel or the fuel filter is clogged, or the carb is out of adjustment.

laviathon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem.After checking the tank and lines I decided to remove carberator.On the side where fuel enters carb,removed the plate and rubber gasket and in the cavity, where the main fuel flow is, was a big glob of oil and dirt blocking the screen.After cleaning it ran so much better,but it still tends to die out.So today Im thinking that the screws need adjusting and I will get back to repost when Im finished with this task.:smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another thing to check is the spark arrestor screen on the muffler - if it is dirty and clogged - back pressure will stop the engine.
Have you used an ethanol treatment like Sta-Bil Marine formula ? Ethanol in the gas can mess up any engine - especially small 2 stroke engines.

Bullseye

Threads
I fired up my chainsaw to cut some logs and it won't stay running, it cuts out and if you don't constantly give it gas it will stall out and you have to restart it, I think my plug might be bad or wet, do you think that would make it act like this?

This alcohol garbage they sell as gasoline can make older rubber parts swell. Some gas tank hoses and pick-ups are especially prone to problems. If it is an older chainsaw the ethanol junk may have damaged some of the plastic or rubber components. Replace the rubber pickup line and filter if they feel "spongy" or sticky.

If the saw is fairly new, try FRESH fuel. Dump your old mix in your car's gas tank - it won't hurt it. Get fresh 89 octane gas and the recommended oil.

Use Sea Foam gas treatment and if the carburetor is dirty use Sea Foam spray to clean it.

After you get that puppy running again , be careful: it hasn't a conscience and doesn't like to show gratitude.