ARE EXMARK PUSH MOWERS WORTH IT??

Threads
I am looking into an Exmark Commercial 21 mower. I will be using it around 15 hours a week. It is pretty expensive for a push mower, is it worth it since it is so heavy-duty and durable??

jimrs

Threads
I can't give you my opinion on cost as I don't know what one cost. I did not even know that they had push mowers. But I went on there site and looked at a couple of them and they do look like a good deal. Unless the cost is about the same as a ZTR then they are way to high.

Threads
Exmark push mowers (21 in. X-Series) are around $ 1,100. I guess its worth it.

jimrs

Threads
Taking into consideration X Marks reputation I would think that is a reasonable price. I would buy one if I need one.

Threads
Here is my 2 cents on the Ex 21. I am new as a lawn care business but have cut grass for money or just to be nice since mid 80s or something. I had a big box store gift card this summer so I went that route and had problems with 2 different pushers. I decided I wanted a commercial warranty of one year minimum. Spent around one day hitting the net, calling, etc. Came close to getting a Snapper, but found later that it was not a year commercial warranty. Found at that many dealers will tell you info on warranty and be totally wrong. Even reps from companies told me wrong. I looked up the warranty on each brand via their company web page and ended up with Ariens or Exmark as my last 2. Found an Exmark dealer close to my house and decided to go that route as many people had told me Ex was the best. The final straw was calling a guy near my city (who didn't know me from Adam) who said the Ex pushers were unbeatable. He preferred another brand for Z-turns, btw, and said the Ex 21s hold up well because his crews beat them up pretty good.

I bought the last 2010 Ex 21 pusher they had on the floor to save money. This is the heaviest pusher I have ever used (about 120 lbs), but also the most powerful. The self-propulsion will literally pull you up a hill and gets hardcore grip with the rubber wheels. Both engagement handles are harder to hold down than average, but the machine doesn't stutter at all. I ran over a small stick today and got ready to hear the CHUNK but it sliced that thing clean with no sound. It is basically like a small tank with a high RPM samurai sword. It has a primer so it's not the quick crank type deal. The height adjustment is not a quickie, either, so you can't do the adjustment on the fly like some others. It is some work to deal with the weight, kind of like driving a boat, but I just cut my back yard for a wedding and it has never looked this good. So the 2010 Ex is extra work, extra money, but the grass will look awesome. Also, if you are going to mulch with an Ex bagger, get a mulch plug and the mulch blade. The blade that comes with it is for bagging and you need the plug to make it mulch right.

The 2012 is lighter by about 15-20 lbs, other than that, not sure of the major differences. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Threads
I should mention that I cut lawns in the North Georgia mountains, so these are not flat postage stamp deals where a $100 pusher will hold up. Every yard in my neighborhood is basically a big hill with a view of the National Forest; so there are trees everywhere (pine cones, sticks, rocks, roots, etc, etc) Otherwise I would just Z-turn and weedeat/veg spray. Haven't flipped my Z-turn and don't really want to. I am counting on the Ex pusher to handle some abuse and speed up some ditches and hills that have shrubbery, etc.:thumbsup:

Ariena

Threads
Thank you very much for your informative remarks, and a big welcome to tithe forum!

Threads
Here is my 2 cents on the Ex 21. I am new as a lawn care business but have cut grass for money or just to be nice since mid 80s or something. I had a big box store gift card this summer so I went that route and had problems with 2 different pushers. I decided I wanted a commercial warranty of one year minimum. Spent around one day hitting the net, calling, etc. Came close to getting a Snapper, but found later that it was not a year commercial warranty. Found at that many dealers will tell you info on warranty and be totally wrong. Even reps from companies told me wrong. I looked up the warranty on each brand via their company web page and ended up with Ariens or Exmark as my last 2. Found an Exmark dealer close to my house and decided to go that route as many people had told me Ex was the best. The final straw was calling a guy near my city (who didn't know me from Adam) who said the Ex pushers were unbeatable. He preferred another brand for Z-turns, btw, and said the Ex 21s hold up well because his crews beat them up pretty good.

I bought the last 2010 Ex 21 pusher they had on the floor to save money. This is the heaviest pusher I have ever used (about 120 lbs), but also the most powerful. The self-propulsion will literally pull you up a hill and gets hardcore grip with the rubber wheels. Both engagement handles are harder to hold down than average, but the machine doesn't stutter at all. I ran over a small stick today and got ready to hear the CHUNK but it sliced that thing clean with no sound. It is basically like a small tank with a high RPM samurai sword. It has a primer so it's not the quick crank type deal. The height adjustment is not a quickie, either, so you can't do the adjustment on the fly like some others. It is some work to deal with the weight, kind of like driving a boat, but I just cut my back yard for a wedding and it has never looked this good. So the 2010 Ex is extra work, extra money, but the grass will look awesome. Also, if you are going to mulch with an Ex bagger, get a mulch plug and the mulch blade. The blade that comes with it is for bagging and you need the plug to make it mulch right.

The 2012 is lighter by about 15-20 lbs, other than that, not sure of the major differences. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I should mention that I cut lawns in the North Georgia mountains, so these are not flat postage stamp deals where a $100 pusher will hold up. Every yard in my neighborhood is basically a big hill with a view of the National Forest; so there are trees everywhere (pine cones, sticks, rocks, roots, etc, etc) Otherwise I would just Z-turn and weedeat/veg spray. Haven't flipped my Z-turn and don't really want to. I am counting on the Ex pusher to handle some abuse and speed up some ditches and hills that have shrubbery, etc.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the good info and :welcome: to LMF! Join the LAWN CARE BUSINESS group: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/groups/lawn-care-business.html if you would like! :smile:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
At the company I worked for we had two of those exmark 21''. Comparing them side by side to the toro proline the exmark drives about as fast does not miss a beat. The handle is the only thing I did not like seemed a little long and the engagement cable was very tight(probably could have been adjusted) Other wise a great machine. For $1100 I would probably come up with the extra couple hundred and get a toro proline with the 6.0 kaw engine That whole machine is genius.