Murray Push Mower

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray Push Mower, Model 20102x92a from 1999 and I cannot get it started. Here's what has happened. I noticed the cable from the interlock bar was fraying right near where it goes into the plastic cover by the motor. I am usually pretty good with electronics/electrical so I took the cover off and thought I would just bypass the safety bar interlock. But I could not figure this one out. Then I put it all back together as it was, but now I cannot get the mower to start. If I could bypass this interlock, that would be the easiest solution.

There is one black wire coming from the front of the mower and it clips into the mechanism, which has a slide plate, spring and screws to hold it all in place.

If anyone can tell me how I can override this interlock it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

twinfords

Threads
you bypass it by taking the lead off of the coil but then it will not cut off for you. just fix it the correct way, by a new control cable.

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
you bypass it by taking the lead off of the coil but then it will not cut off for you. just fix it the correct way, by a new control cable.

The thing is, the control cable, while frayed, is not broken. I do not think it is not working because the control cable has a problem, but rather something from my taking the assembly off and then putting it back on. Although it all seems correct I think something is not making contact where it should be or something is misaligned, etc.

What do you mean by take the lead off the coil? Is that at the other end of the lead. At the end with the plate and spring, it merely clips to the spring assembly, I do not see any coil there.

QuiGonJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually, thinking about it, I can see I would still need this, otherwise there would be no "easy way" to turn the mower off, when I want to.

If you can explain the operation, electrically, maybe I can figure out why it is not working.

Is it always making contact and the operating the safety bar breaks the connection and allows the mower to run? (normally grounding out the signal, except when the safety is operated).

Or, is it not making contact and the operating the safety bar makes a connection and allows the mower to run? (normally not connected, except when the safety is operated).

twinfords

Threads
hello, it is always making contact, the safety bar breaks the contact or ground. when you disconnect the wire from the coil (which is under the housing /cover) it takes the safety out all together.

twinfords

Threads
check for spark and go from there. if you have spark it is something else.