Safety features

Twinkle

Threads
Just wondering what kind of safety features there are on the lawn tractors out there. If you are buying something that will be around when curious young children are playing nearby what do you look for as standard? Cheers.

Flossie

Threads
I am glad you raised this issue as around 10.000 children a year here in the USA are injured by lawn mowers of all kinds. In terms of the riders safety you need to make sure all debris is removed from the area to be mowed. This helps to avoid injury from flying objects.

Hoss

Threads
That's about the main thing right there, flying debris. If you're mowing something that hasn't been touched in years, I would keep the kids away.Better safe than sorry.

dria

Threads
I know a man who never checks for debris. He is the same man who took the safety feature off of his circular saw. I honestly think he is being very stupid and hope no one else follows in his footsteps.

KDL

Threads
I'm overly cautious, I make sure all the safety features are working before I use anything, I will not use it if the safety is broken or missing. I saw a guy try to use something without a guard on it and lost his fingers, been cautious ever since.

Flossie

Threads
Can't believe someone would knowingly work machinery without safety precautions. That is machismo gone too far! I hate see-ing kids being given rides on mowers too. They are not toys and I wish some folk would wake up to that fact!

Bethieboo

Threads
I know a man who never checks for debris. He is the same man who took the safety feature off of his circular saw. I honestly think he is being very stupid and hope no one else follows in his footsteps.

We can just label this one as, "How to lose a finger". I mean circular saws freak me out enough with the safety shield off. What a stupid thing to do. When he looses a finger he will regret that.

outdoors Joe

Threads
I can't imagine anyone taking the safety features off any power equipment. That's asking for injuries to happen. What are people who would do that thinking...or are they thinking at all?

poncho62

Threads
In high school, we had a shop teacher that was missing a finger....Story goes, he was showing the class one day how not to use a bandsaw......dont know if it was true or not....

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't imagine anyone taking the safety features off any power equipment. That's asking for injuries to happen. What are people who would do that thinking...or are they thinking at all?

I have to disagree - 'safety features' are FOR people who don't think at all. People who think first usually don't need crap like "no mow in reverse". I have taken every 'safety feature' off my mowers (because the systems messed up) and, because I actually pay attention to what I'm doing, have neither hurt myself or anyone around me. Period.

People who can't pay attention, or think a whit before climbing on a piece of equipment should not BE on said equipment. Period again.

Dummies will find a way to hurt themselves, or the pets, or the kids, or the spouse. All the safety systems in the world will not stop it, just make headaches for those of us who operate machinery responsibly. Thrice now, period.

My :2cents: