Engine 'locks up' and won't turn over (crank)

Georgia Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an unusual problem. Occasionally, the engine on my mower locks up and the starter is not able to crank it. I have to rotate the flywheel back and forth to free it up at which point the starter will engage and start the engine. It doesn't happen often but when it does, the starter won't budge the engine.

The engine is an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard. It has a new battery and solenoid but the starter is original. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to make sure all connections are tight and clean. Particularly the grounds. If you have a three terminal solenoid the base is the ground and the starter is grounded through the bolts.

chockkicker

Threads
I have an unusual problem. Occasionally, the engine on my mower locks up and the starter is not able to crank it. I have to rotate the flywheel back and forth to free it up at which point the starter will engage and start the engine. It doesn't happen often but when it does, the starter won't budge the engine.

The engine is an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard. It has a new battery and solenoid but the starter is original. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adjust the valves, fixed mine and several others, when the intake and exhaust valves get out of adjustment they will not dump the compression when starting which result in starter not able to turn over the engine on compression stroke.
Sonny

Georgia Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

I've checked the electrical connections already. That's one reason I changed the starter solenoid. But the starter is original but it appears to be OK. When the engine cranks, it's at a fast speed, i.e., the starter doesn't appear to be dragging.

I'll check the valve adjustment and see if they're out. Is there a procedure somewhere with tolerance specifications for doing this?

Again, thanks for the help. I appreciate it. The sooner I can get this thing fixed, the sooner I can get my wife back out there cutting grass! :)

chockkicker

Threads

Lawn Mower Repair Valve Adjustment V-Twin - YouTube watch the you tube video, .004 to .006 should be good for both valves.
Sonny

Georgia Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Excellent reference to the valve adjustment procedure. I'll try this procedure this coming weekend and let you know what I find. Thanks.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just watched the video and its wrong.

He opens 1 valve to then adjust the other valve but thats not how you do it.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/Servicing%20the%20valves/?body_0$tbKeyword=valves&selectCats=Troubleshooting+-+Repairs

look at section of adjusting overhead valves.

The reason its wrong is because the engine has a decompressor which you have to eliminate when adjusting valves.

Georgia Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, thanks for the tip. Basically the difference between the video and the B/S instructions is you move the piston 1/4" off TDC then do the valve adjustment. I've checked the manual and the clearance is 0.004" for both the intake and exhaust valves for this engine.

Again, thanks the the tip.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a look at the gear on the starter it could be getting in a bind with the fly wheel

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Georgia Boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check to make sure the starter is not binding.