Who can buy a commercial mower?

Stopper

Threads
Let's say you find a commercial mower that really strikes your fancy and you decide you want to buy one. Can a regular person buy a commercial mower or do you need to have a business?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have the $ and want to spend it -- you can buy it ! :thumbsup:

{Unless BIG GOVERNMENT has it's way and makes all the decisions for us stupid people :rolleyes: }

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Let's say you find a commercial mower that really strikes your fancy and you decide you want to buy one. Can a regular person buy a commercial mower or do you need to have a business?

They're no special requirements to purchase a commercial mower. Most homeowners buy or stick with the residential type mowers and don't buy commercial because of the price difference and most commercial mowers are overkill for the average home owner unless they're mowing a great deal of property.

grnspot110

Threads
As stated, if you have the need & the cash, anyone can buy them!

I bought a commercial Bush Hog zero turn about 9 years ago from a local farm & lawn dealer. Times changed, I have different needs, so I went back to a upper end residential mower last Spring! ~~ grnspot110

173abn

Threads
I found a good used commercial mower on craigslist for less than half the cost of a new one. russ

Bethieboo

Threads
I have never considered buying a commercial mower. I do not really have the cash either. Still what is the advantage of using a commercial mower?

henry

Threads
Very interesting information here. I might buy one if I found one on craigslist. Still, how much does a new commercial mower tend to run?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very interesting information here. I might buy one if I found one on craigslist. Still, how much does a new commercial mower tend to run?

New commercial mowers can run anywhere from 7K to 13K depending on brand name and in some cases that's what you pay for, THE NAME. In some cases the differences between a good upper end residential mower and a commercial is not much, they can basically be the same mower except for maybe the deck construction. Before buying any commercial mower it's a good idea to sit down and look at the spec sheets carefully compare them to the upper end residential of the same brand, you may be surprised at what you find or don't find.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never considered buying a commercial mower. I do not really have the cash either. Still what is the advantage of using a commercial mower?

There's really not much in the way of an advantage to using a commercial mower over the upper end residential mowers. Some people will say they will last longer, some will say they have a better cut but IMO that's a load. If you maintain a mower and keep the blades sharp it's going to cut as well as a commercial and it can last you years. Now keep something in mind when I say upper end residential mower, that's not mowers from Home Depot, Lowes or Tractor Supply.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
how much does a new commercial mower tend to run?

My CTL (Commercial Turf & Lawn) Tractor, Cab and (1) Mower attachment, was a bit more than $30,000 new.

There is a LOT of difference between any real Commercial grade equipment and Residential equipment...

A commercial mower will give thousands of hours service life...

To address the OP question... "Who can buy a commercial mower?" Typically it is a city or municipality, a golf course, or lawn landscape business... and none of them do it for the idea of wasting money, if you need rugged dependable rebuild-able equipment...it is the least expensive in the long run.
If it could be done with cheaper stuff ... it would be. :smile:KennyV