616 with stiff steering arms

trialsguy

Threads
Hello

My steering arms on mower are stiff and wont return to neutral on their own. I have searched for a grease zert but unable to find any. The manual that I have doesn't cover much and it doesn't cover any lube points.

There are really only 3 places that would cause restriction that I can find. first one being right where arm pivots and rotates when you are in the drive position the next one looks like there is a bushing where the linkage connect going to hydro unit and the 3rd being the point in which the spring loaded center return point for the neutral. I have sprayed lube but I am sure that the dust and dirt will only cause more trouble.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
Bob

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a look at this

Attachments

• 616_2000_steering.gif
    616_2000_steering.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 40

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may also help you

Attachments

• 616_2000_drive_linkage.gif
    616_2000_drive_linkage.gif
    56.8 KB · Views: 44

trialsguy

Threads
Engineman

Thank you for adding the parts break down to the thread, upon viewing the diagram I decided that the only real restriction would be the pivot #19 I believe, so I dis-assembled it and found a very rusty corroded shaft with a plastic bushing. So I emery cloth the shaft and then buffed it and applied a light grease to it and man o man it is so smooth now, I promptly did the other side so now it takes very little effort to move the handle, which relieves me of some concerned allowing my daughter or wife to operate the mower, now when you let go of the control arms it stops dead in its tracks instead of motoring on.
Thank you
Bob

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're welcome, and thank you for the feed back, job done...! :thumbsup: