LA115 Grass Catcher

everette

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a grass catcher on my JD for a couple of seasons and it does't work worth a toot. I'm considering taking it off and just using mulching blades. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has this problem and what mulching blades to use.
Thanks
Everette

talley2191

Threads
everette said:
I have had a grass catcher on my JD for a couple of seasons and it does't work worth a toot. I'm considering taking it off and just using mulching blades. Just thought I would ask if anyone else has this problem and what mulching blades to use.
Thanks
Everette

I have a bagger on my 125 and it's ok but I'm afraid either the engine doesn't have to power to drive the grass out if it's not totally dry. My X300 bagger is a little larger so not as prone to clogs with all things being equal. The engine on the X300 can really drive the grass into the basket. Maybe a solution would be to cut when it's dry and cut 1/4-1/2 inches at a time. I believe a mulching kit says 1/4 inches is the limit anyway.

everette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Talley, I'm just tired of messing with it. It's not picking up the grass anyway, so I may as well be mulching.
Everette

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks
Everette
It's been my experience those series of tractors came out with combination side discharge / mulching blades and they will never bag grass well. Hi-lift blades are required to bag. Look at rear engine rider snapper blades with the added wing on the blade and you'll see what's needed to be a successful bagger.:biggrin:

I don't bag and never will so I just leave the factory blades to do what ever they want with frequent sharpening.

PJ

Threads
Thanks Talley, I'm just tired of messing with it. It's not picking up the grass anyway, so I may as well be mulching.
Everette

I have a X140 JD and fitted it with a 48" 2 bag bagger. Must say I do also get hang-ups but once I get it going it works nice accpecialy when i pick up and mulch leaves. I fitted the recomended Blades for the bagger
PJ

Jhon

Threads
Another vote for the high lift blades. I have a la120, and the difference between the 3 in 1 that came with the tractor is like night and day. I purchased the JD brand High Lift blades.

everette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, To everyone, I think I will try mulching blades for a while. If that does not work I will try the high lift blades. I just have a lot of grass to cut and it seems any little deviation or stick or leaf just stops everything up.
Thanks again
Everette

Frog

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1996 STX38 (Special John Deere Racing edition):biggrin:. it has a bagger. i use the Hi-Lift blades, and W/O throttle and this thing will suck up a 747, Was wondering if your running the throttle high enough. After all J.D says to mow at WOT....

Frog:thumbsup:

everette

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run if full out. The problem is it keeps getting stopped up and won't work. I don't cut long grass. I cut every week and it just doesn't work correctly.
Thanks for the reply
Everette

Frog

Threads
Yep Everett,

Dads LA100 Has the mulching blades and he dont like em either. No bagger tho..i talked to him about that after i posted and the result of that conversation was me going to the local JD store and getting some new Hi lift blades. Cant wait to try em out. Now if it would only rain....:thumbsup: