Honda GCV160A will only run and then rough on full choke

buicillac

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda GCV160A will only run and then rough on full choke
My Honda HRR2165VXA will not idle. I used it a month ago and it ran fine. Governor is hunting (engine speed up and down) only on full choke. It dies when I take it off full choke. I replaced the carb with a new Honda carb, replaced the spark plug, oil, air filter, fresh fuel and it does exactly the same thing. I was thinking maybe the gas cap isn't venting and will check that next. The mower doesn't have that many hours on it considering it is four or five years old. Any other ideas? Thanks,

Mini Motors

Threads
There are a piece or two between the carb and the block, that can easily be put in wrong and block a small orifice. Find an online parts dealer that shows the diagrams to check your installation. I use Jacks Small Engine, only because I've used them since before I joined LMF. Wise Sales(one of LMFs advertisers) has the diagrams as well. Just make sure the small hole lines up so it has a way through those pieces. Good luck.

gunoi9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have the exact same Honda lawnmower and rough running with full choke only. It happened 6/17/2012, after half an hour or so of running. The engine died slowly. It can always restart with full choke, and the speed is hunting (up and down). As soon as I switch to full run or idle, it dies slowly.

The spark looks good... and I cleaned it, for good measure. Removed the air filer (cit is clean) and run without it. No improvement. Sprayed some carb cleaner in intake.. no improvement.

It is possible that I may have run with one year old gasoline, but I am not 100% positive.
My theory, is that I have spark and air. The gas supply is the problem. Maybe some dirt caight in the carburator. I was ready to take it appart and clean it, just as I saw Bucillac's note... with the issue persisting even after the carb was serviced...meaning that the problem may lie eslewhere.

Mini-motor's advice is well taken. However, Bucillac's problem was the same with the old and new carb; so, I do not think it has to do with the process of replacing the carb. Something got in there by its own. Dirt? Gum?

DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY NEWS ON THIS ISSUE?

Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spark, fuel, air, or governor. Doubt it is something internal like valves, piston or timing belt.

Might want to double check gaskets and seals around the carb and intake. I triple-cleaned the carb on my HRX and it ended up being a bad seal on the carb/intake the whole time. Replaced with new gaskets and fired right up just fine.

Make sure the governor springs are correctly installed and working right.

Sure sounds like there's still a fuel delivery issue of some kind, or at least a fuel/air mixture problem.

buicillac

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I have the exact same Honda lawnmower and rough running with full choke only. It happened 6/17/2012, after half an hour or so of running. The engine died slowly. It can always restart with full choke, and the speed is hunting (up and down). As soon as I switch to full run or idle, it dies slowly.

The spark looks good... and I cleaned it, for good measure. Removed the air filer (cit is clean) and run without it. No improvement. Sprayed some carb cleaner in intake.. no improvement.

It is possible that I may have run with one year old gasoline, but I am not 100% positive.
My theory, is that I have spark and air. The gas supply is the problem. Maybe some dirt caight in the carburator. I was ready to take it appart and clean it, just as I saw Bucillac's note... with the issue persisting even after the carb was serviced...meaning that the problem may lie eslewhere.

Mini-motor's advice is well taken. However, Bucillac's problem was the same with the old and new carb; so, I do not think it has to do with the process of replacing the carb. Something got in there by its own. Dirt? Gum?

DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY NEWS ON THIS ISSUE?

Thanks.

My mower is running better since I removed the carb and really cleaned it good. Especially the idle circuit passages (requires removing a metal plug cap) by inserting a small wire to clean them out. I used new gaskets and was careful to install them correctly. I blew compressed air through the fuel line into the gas tank in case the filter (does it have a filter?) was plugged. I got the idle adjusted to high on the carb which I can easily fix, otherewise it's running much better. This is third time I've had to mess with the carb on this mower. All the issues are related to government intervention dictating polution control messures that don't go with small engines. Crummy fuel and lean air to fuel mixture settings. Small engines need to run a little rich.