Carburetor problem? 25 hp Kawasaki

HBA

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2001 25 hp Kawasaki engine on a bobcat mower. It runs great when the blades are not engauged but when i engauge the blades it runs great for 30 minutes then it dies. It restarts and I run it for a few second then dies. It just keeps dieing, it seems to me like it's not getting fuel...I check the tank cap it's open, the fuel filter is new, I check the fuel pump and it's has a good stream . The only thing I can figure its the carburetor. Ive even tried seafoam and nothing it still does it. Any suggestion ?

Last edited:

Edwards saw service

Threads
We have this problem come into the shop with older bob cats. How many hours are on the unit? It may be time for the heads to be replaced or the valves to be lapped.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA

HBA

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower has over 2000 hours but the engine has less than 200 hour.

Lawnranger

Threads
I'm sure you already know this but an engine needs the right amount of air, the right amount of fuel, compression and spark at the right time to operate properly. If one of the above factors are missing or in the wrong proportion the engine will not run or may run poorly. When the symptom is present find out which one(s) is/are missing from the equation.

DaveTN

Threads
It doesn't take much to get an engine to run erratically. One would think that less than 30 minutes would be enough to cause an intake valve with insufficient gap to heat up enough to come off its seat. Wouldn't hurt to go through the carburetor and give a good cleaning with carburetor cleaner and re-assemble. Enrichen the mixture screw some couldn't hurt. Too much and it would blow black smoke~~~ I'd take the valve cover off and look at the gaps and see what they are set at.

iluvfish1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2001 25 hp Kawasaki engine on a bobcat mower. It runs great when the blades are not engauged but when i engauge the blades it runs great for 30 minutes then it dies. It restarts and I run it for a few second then dies. It just keeps dieing, it seems to me like it's not getting fuel...I check the tank cap it's open, the fuel filter is new, I check the fuel pump and it's has a good stream . The only thing I can figure its the carburetor. Ive even tried seafoam and nothing it still does it. Any suggestion ?

i had the exact same problem with my 25hp kowasaki. i would mow for half an hour fine then it would quit. it would restart with the choke pulled half way out but run rough. local mecanics were convinced it was a fuel problem. after cleaning the carb, eliminating ethenol, changing plugs, replacing fuel filter and pump, turns out the problem was an ignition coil. it would break down when it got hot. i replaced both at a cost of $95 and a couple hours. hope this saves you the agrivation i went though.

FloGro

Threads
I would definitely check to see if it has spark after it gets nice and hot and shuts off, it sounds like a classic ign coil problem because it runs so long before shutting off, if it were fuel related it would shut off alot sooner. Fuel cap venting properly is something to consider too

gregjo1948

Threads
I would definitely check to see if it has spark after it gets nice and hot and shuts off, it sounds like a classic ign coil problem because it runs so long before shutting off, if it were fuel related it would shut off alot sooner. Fuel cap venting properly is something to consider too

I think he said the cap was ok. I agree with the bad coil and it's an easy thing to check. gregjo1948

ft_motors

Forum Newbie
Threads
A friend of mine had a very similar problem with his riding mower. The problem was traced back to bad ignition coil.

Marcus275

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have replaced all the parts listed. I would like to know what the fuel pump is called. I dont think its called a fuel pump but if you were to trace the fuel line fron the carb this is the first gadget that fuel line connects to.
If I were to reverse the diagram it would be something like this:
Fuel lines from Fuel tanks to the fuel shut off switch.(At this point you can choose which tank you want fuel from.
Then from fuel shut off switch to the (Fuel pump ????) This gadget is black, round and has fuel line ports which one port goes to the carb.
Thats it in a nutshell. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Marty