Is Craftsman worth it?

Homesteader

Threads
My husband swears by Craftsman tools, including the mowers. However, you can't purchase the parts from anywhere but them and after a while, they are timed out -- like the mower we have. We can't buy a starter or blades. We tried ordering them, but they're no longer stocked.

Michael

Threads
In my humble opinion, I would'nt give ya 2 cents for craftsman equipment, in as much as the motor they choose, for outdoor power equipment is built by 1 of 3 companies, every thing else is specet out to prevent you from buying after market. In terms of the starter, honey if it's a Briggs & Stratton, I can buy them here in Canada for $65.00 CND, if it's Techumse $145.00 CND.
Find what you have, let me know, I will send the info.
Michael

Homesteader

Threads
Thank you. I mean when you purchase power equipment for hard work, you know it's going to need repairs. Then you build a machine that has no interchangeable parts with a verbal lifetime warranty.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is Craftsman worth it? IMHO No. Craftsman tools for the average home owner aren't to bad but there mowers as someone else said I would'nt give you nickel for craftsman equipment or anything else with a B&S motor :thumbdown: but that's just me.

My suggestion if you're purchasing power equipment for hard work go to a dealer in your area and buy from them, you'll not only purchase better equipment but you'll purchase a warranty and the dealer will fix or service the equipment when needed and he will have the parts on hand or will be able to order what you need and have it in a couple of days with no problem.:thumbsup: Stay away from big box stores when it comes to mowing equipment.

Walt 2002

Threads
My husband swears by Craftsman tools, including the mowers. However, you can't purchase the parts from anywhere but them and after a while, they are timed out -- like the mower we have. We can't buy a starter or blades. We tried ordering them, but they're no longer stocked.

Actually I am sure both are available, perhaps not from Sear. As said above, Briggs starters are plentiful and good used ones should be available for $10 - $15.

Check many of the online sources for lawn mower parts.

Walt Conner

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like has been said... Engine parts are available...
Blades are also available . AT a LOT less than you most likely have been paying for original equip. PLUS you can get a much better replacement blade. Just measure and search the net...:smile:KennyV

Michael

Threads
I get alot of parts for the equipment I repair from wwwpartstree.com

Michael:smile:

Edro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you get what you pay for. I've got 3 craftsman garden tractors. One is new(5000 excellarator), 1972 Suburban w/10 hp cast iron Briggs, 1975 Suburban w/16 hp cast iron Tech. I mow with the 5000 and the 1975 model. The 1975 doesn't have a mower deck and has been modified over the years before I got it that would not be conducive to putting the deck on it. The 5000 Excellarator is not the heavy duty machine the Suburbans are but it does have a hydo trans. that I like. I had trouble getting a level cut out of the 54" deck but finally managed thru trial and error to get a good cut. It handles very well and with the 26 hp twin Kohler, has plenty of power. I can work on the Suburbans myself without too much trouble. They are rugged and fun to operate. I have a 3 point hitch on both and have made the 72 model a winch lift. I have a 3000# elec. winch to raise and lower the hitch. I have wheel weights on all 3 and water in the tires of the Suburbans. The 5000 would spin the tires very easily without the weights. All in all, I think I would buy the 5000 again if I had to do over. I watched the sales and got it for under $2500 last Nov. I got a close out bumper for $9. I like the 18" turning radius with the 54" cut. I think if you look, you can find parts for your mower. Anything that fits a Husquvarner(sp) will fit my 5000 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if you do any work on your mower yourself, but if you do, have fun and look for parts in the various places mentioned above. Good Luck. Just my opinion which along with $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere.--Edro:smile:

MarkBer69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I get a lot of my parts from sears at- http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action?pop=flush -- But the best place to get blades is a Flea Market or a mower shop near you.And sevice center can order your parts,you will need your model # Ser # And Husk makes a tractor just like the craftsmans but for less $$$$$.Look at Lowes or HD

Attachments

• white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 13

mowsby

Threads
If Craftsman is not worth it why do all the stores around here stock primarily Craftsman tools? It seems like there are always twice the amount of Craftsman then any other product.