Old DR 8hp field mower

Kiwicut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone help me find a shaft for the cutting deck of my older DR mower. They are no longer made. There is still lots of life left in the beast. It's the one with the skinny big wheels, probably built between 1987 and 1999. Plan B is to try to straighten the one I bent. Plan C is to have one made. They may have been called Bachtold machines back in the day? Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kind of through me off course here with the second trend. But I see you are thinking of trying to straighten it. Good Luck

modela

Threads
Can anyone help me find a shaft for the cutting deck of my older DR mower. They are no longer made. There is still lots of life left in the beast. It's the one with the skinny big wheels, probably built between 1987 and 1999. Plan B is to try to straighten the one I bent. Plan C is to have one made. They may have been called Bachtold machines back in the day? Thanks

I repair mowers for a non-profit arboretum. They have two and will be facing future spindle shaft replacement. I priced one at a machinist and he gave me the following numbers:

quantity of 1, $150 total
quantity of 2, $200 total or $100 each
quantity of 3, $240 or $80 each
$40 each after that.

The higher price reflects having to take measurements to make them.

Jim

Jim Marshall

Kiwicut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Jim. I managed to straighten the shaft pretty well but I've yet to run it. And whether it will stay straight is another matter. Sometimes the metal is affected. Here's hoping. Those prices you got sound reasonable though (from an old machinist's point of view. Cutting those two left hand threads would take time). By the way, check the bearings on the shaft, especially the lower one which was chewed to pieces on mine. The grass gets wound around the blade area and rips up the bearing seal. The bearings are very cheap to buy. Around $5.00 each.