Toro 6.5 hp self propelled won't stay running

spsu00

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro lawn mower that I am trying desperately hard to fix. It will crank but won't run. At first it would crank and run a couple of minutes. Now it only runs a couple of seconds. I'm a single chick and I can't afford to take it anywhere. I have tried everything I've been able to find online.
Here are are the things that I've tried. I've replaced the fuel and cleaned the carburetor. I've changed the oil, new air filter, new primer bulb, new spark plug and checked the fly wheel key. I have also sanded the rust from the contacts on the fly wheel.
If anyone else has a suggestion I'd appreciate you sharing it.

originalswampfox

Threads
You have to have fuel, spark, compression and timing. Due to the fact that it starts and runs for a few seconds makes me believe you have the last three. I think it is a fuel problem. Put a little gas on the air filter and see if it runs longer. Even after cleaning the carb I have had the float stick and the main jet clog. I fuel in the filter helps
1. take the carb bowl off and gas should run out. If it doesn't the float valve is stuck
2. the main jet is in the bolt that holds the bowl on. Look at the top of the bolt it has a small hole in it this is the jet. gas flows in through the large holes at the head of the bolt and out to the engine through the small one on top. You should be able to blow through the bolt. A little gas taste won't kill you.
3. I have a 6.5 Briggs And Stratton engine on my mower and these two things are usually the problem
4. By the way the bolt at the bottom is a brass bolt.

Let us know how it turns out.

spsu00

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the bowl off for the second time today by removing the bolt at the bottom and yes gas ran out. I also stuck a needle in the holes of the brass bolt to make sure they were clear. The air filter is paper? Should I just pour gas on it?

originalswampfox

Threads
Yes!! just put a couple of table spoons full on it. A lot of it will dry out before you get the filter back on and try to crank it.

originalswampfox

Threads
Did you see the hole in the top of the bolt? I use a very small sewing needle to clean it.

spsu00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you mean directly on the top? Or on the top of the threaded part close to the head of the bolt?

originalswampfox

Threads
Directly on top of the threads. the other end from where the 1/2" wrench goes

originalswampfox

Threads
Did the gas on the filter make it run a little longer?

spsu00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its been raining cats and dogs since last night. I'll let you know when I can try it.

spsu00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can't get it to start at all today. :mad: