Smoking Lawn Mower!

JBoo91

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I bought a second-hand Craftsman 550 push mower (gas) last year in great condition. I've been using it all Spring after having stablized the gas over the winter. Today I checked the oil level and added more SAE 10W30, then mowed easily for about 45 minutes. All of a sudden, the engine started to race and blow huge billows of smoke from the round metal thing on the left of the engine. The engine wouldn't stop, even when I let go of the handlebar. It took about 2 minutes to shut off and stop smoking.

Have I somehow ruined my mower? Can I fix it myself without having to pay someone $80 just to look at it? I'm pretty handy but am admittedly naive when it comes to dealing with mowers.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks - Jennie

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
what color was the smoke. black means too much gas. white means you are burning oil. could be caused by over fill of oil or from maybe mowing on an incline that caused oil to be draw into the breather, or a combination of the two. the failure to shut down may be due to a dieseling effect which means the fuel or oil being drawn in to a hot engine was self igniting.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF! :smile:

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
thats just bizarre!!:eek:....color of smoke?..but the ignition staying on at the same time...weird!.....the round metal thing?.....can you take pictures?

JBoo91

Forum Newbie
Threads
I borrowed a friend's husband and he figured it out! Wouldn't you know a MOUSE had built a nest inside the motor housing! TONS of what was probably a gardening glove was jammed up against the "round silver thing" which explains the smoke. It's all good now and I can officially mow my own lawn in pretty patterns or illogical lines - one benefit of being a divorcee!

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Mower manic

Threads
I borrowed a friend's husband and he figured it out! Wouldn't you know a MOUSE had built a nest inside the motor housing! TONS of what was probably a gardening glove was jammed up against the "round silver thing" which explains the smoke. It's all good now and I can officially mow my own lawn in pretty patterns or illogical lines - one benefit of being a divorcee!

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Thanks for the update!
I don't think anybody would have guessed that a mouse was the problem. Good thing it didn't catch fire or cause your garage or shed to burn down.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
good to hear......but if it was overheated...i would change your motor oil.......were there dead bbq mice?

benski

Threads
good to hear......but if it was overheated...i would change your motor oil.......were there dead bbq mice?
:licking::ashamed::laughing::wink: A little KC BBQ sauce, some Schmidt animal beer...:eek: