Husqy won't start--sort of

ctjayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings, All.
Here's my issue, I have a Husqvarna model 6021P. Purchased last August, used less than 10 hours. Kept under cover all winter. Has fresh gas. Now, after a few pulls, it will start--but it IMMEDIATELY, and I mean immediately, dies. Doesn't sputter, doesn't try to run for a minute. Just croaks. It's like just enough gas is making it down to fire it up, but not to run. This thing is still basically brand-new. and I am getting quite frustrated. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Chuck

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings, All.
Here's my issue, I have a Husqvarna model 6021P. Purchased last August, used less than 10 hours. Kept under cover all winter. Has fresh gas. Now, after a few pulls, it will start--but it IMMEDIATELY, and I mean immediately, dies. Doesn't sputter, doesn't try to run for a minute. Just croaks. It's like just enough gas is making it down to fire it up, but not to run. This thing is still basically brand-new. and I am getting quite frustrated. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Chuck

Did you store it with gas in the tank, and if so, did you use fuel stabilizer when you stored it? If not, I suspect the fuel has gummed up the float bowl and is preventing fuel flow.

ctjayhawker

Forum Newbie
Threads
1. I think so, and 2. I'm not sure. It actually ran for a few minutes before sputtering out, and the current problem began. If the carb is indeed gummy, what is my best recourse?

jeff

Threads
Best would be to remove the carb dissassemble and clean really well using a carb dip like Berrymen's for a couple of hours folllowed by cleaning all passages with tag wire. It would be wise to take pictures prior to carb removal so that you know how to hook up the linkage when you replace the carb.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best would be to remove the carb dissassemble and clean really well using a carb dip like Berrymen's for a couple of hours folllowed by cleaning all passages with tag wire. It would be wise to take pictures prior to carb removal so that you know how to hook up the linkage when you replace the carb.

To be honest, I think that method is extreme...in the past I have had great success with carbs affected with stale fuel by simply removing the float bowl and the main jet, when fitted, and cleaning just those. The majority of my problems with stale fuel have been on Tecumseh engines where the main jet is also the part that holds the float bowl on. I would not think a nearly new carb like his would be so affected it needed a complete cleaning. And, we should tell him to drain the fuel tank on his mower, add the fuel to his car or truck gas tank, and refill the mower tank with fresh fuel after the carb is clean.

daddy3

Threads
if your going to take it off clean it right the first time dont forget to clean the plug to

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. :smile: